Question Help/recommendation for upgrading my PC

Nov 6, 2022
Hello, I want to upgrade my PC and here are my current specs.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: PNY NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super (1 fan)
MOBO: MSI A320M A PRO VD/S
RAM: 32GB 3200MHZ (HyperX, 2x 16GB)
DISK: 1TB SSD & 250GB SSD
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 400W
Case: Picture of Case
BIOS: Latest Version bios page
CPU COOLER: AMD AM4 Wraith Stealth Cooler Link

(I don't know the case since it's a prebuilt. I upgraded gpu, ram, cpu over 4 years though.)

What I am planning on upgrading:

I want to upgrade my CPU to Ryzen 7 2700X. My friend said he will give me this for free. It is his old CPU and works fine with no issues.
The rest I plan on paying myself.
I don't know what to upgrade motherboard to (if it is even needed). I'm just not sure what manufacturer like MSI, asus, etc.
I want to upgrade the power supply but I honestly have no idea what to upgrade to. I might plan on upgrading GPU in the future, but not anytime soon.
I want to upgrade my CPU cooler too (if it is needed for R7 2700X). Currently I have AMD AM4 Wraith Stealth Cooler

Important

I want to spend a good bit of money now for long-term if I ever want to upgrade any OTHER parts like my GPU that it won't be a problem.
I don't want to go to the hassle in the future of having to swap out motherboards or PSU again.
I plan on getting a 3060 or higher in a few years time but not now.
I want to use the CPU my friend will give me, but the motherboard can change. It was just one that was recommended to me but if you recommend any other motherboards let me know.
This PC will be used for mostly gaming and a bit of browsing/videos/coding.
Budget doesn't really matter. But hoping to spend around 200-400 on a motherboard+PSU+cooler. It could be more, it's fine
Currency is EURO.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

For starters, I'd chuck that PSU out, for sure!

hoping to spend around 200-400 on a motherboard+PSU+cooler.
You will need to specify the currency otherwise in it's current state, they're equivalent to clamshells.

I want to upgrade my CPU to Ryzen 7 2700X.
+
I want to upgrade my MOBO to a B660
You can't drop that processor onto that socket/chipset. It's physically impossible. You sure you got the motherboard chipset right? You're not referring to a B550 chipset? If so, please stop, your current motherboard will be fine, just make sure you're on the latest BIOS version. If you must get a new board for that processor, that's not a good idea either considering a B550 chipset + Ryzen 5 5600x + 2x8/16GB DDR4-3600MHz ram kit would net you better results.

Nov 6, 2022
Happy New Year!

For starters, I'd chuck that PSU out, for sure!

hoping to spend around 200-400 on a motherboard+PSU+cooler.
You will need to specify the currency otherwise in it's current state, they're equivalent to clamshells.
Edited my message. (Euro)

I want to upgrade my CPU to Ryzen 7 2700X.
+
I want to upgrade my MOBO to a B660
You can't drop that processor onto that socket/chipset. It's physically impossible. You sure you got the motherboard chipset right? You're not referring to a B550 chipset? If so, please stop, your current motherboard will be fine, just make sure you're on the latest BIOS version. If you must get a new board for that processor, that's not a good idea either considering a B550 chipset + Ryzen 5 5600x + 2x8/16GB DDR4-3600MHz ram kit would net you better results.

I was recommended a B660. Maybe he meant a B550, but I'm not too sure. I am not the best with system specs really.
I am on the latest BIOS version right now.
So as I said I want to get a Ryzen 7 2700X (for free) that my friend will give me. Do you think it will be okay with my motherboard?

Hello, I want to upgrade my PC and here are my current specs.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: PNY NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super (1 fan)
MOBO: MSI A320M A PRO VD/S
RAM: 32GB 3200MHZ (HyperX, 2x 16GB)
DISK: 1TB SSD & 250GB SSD
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 400W
Case: Picture of Case
BIOS: Latest Version bios page
CPU COOLER: AMD AM4 Wraith Stealth Cooler Link

(I don't know the case since it's a prebuilt. I upgraded gpu, ram, cpu over 4 years though.)

What I am planning on upgrading:

I want to upgrade my CPU to Ryzen 7 2700X. My friend said he will give me this for free. It is his old CPU and works fine with no issues.
The rest I plan on paying myself.
I don't know what to upgrade motherboard to (if it is even needed). I'm just not sure what manufacturer like MSI, asus, etc.
I want to upgrade the power supply but I honestly have no idea what to upgrade to. I might plan on upgrading GPU in the future, but not anytime soon.
I want to upgrade my CPU cooler too (if it is needed for R7 2700X). Currently I have AMD AM4 Wraith Stealth Cooler

Important

I want to spend a good bit of money now for long-term if I ever want to upgrade any OTHER parts like my GPU that it won't be a problem.
I don't want to go to the hassle in the future of having to swap out motherboards or PSU again.
I plan on getting a 3060 or higher in a few years time but not now.
I want to use the CPU my friend will give me, but the motherboard can change. It was just one that was recommended to me but if you recommend any other motherboards let me know.
This PC will be used for mostly gaming and a bit of browsing/videos/coding.
Budget doesn't really matter. But hoping to spend around 200-400 on a motherboard+PSU+cooler. It could be more, it's fine
Currency is EURO.
Only you know how high up the perf ladder you want to go.

Your mobo should support the 2700x.
Get a quality 750w psu.....7-10yr warranty..... that should handle most mid range gpu upgrades..
Cooler? ....... i'll leave to others to advise.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If friend is giving you the 2700X, you should consider just going drop in upgrade. Your motherboard will support it. If this includes the stock cooler it should be fine with that motherboard. I would, in fact, recommend that you stay with a downdraft cooler in order to help cool the motherboard VRM.

As far as the future plan for graphics card, I would consider going ahead with this update cycle to add a nicer 550+ W power supply. Prices are on the high side right now still riding the Christmas wave, but you should be able to find something suitable for ~$60.
The 2700X is still a quite relevant CPU and should be a nice in place upgrade to what you have going now, as well as to pair well with the 3060 later. Particularly since it is a gift.

Reactions: Why_Me
Nov 6, 2022
If friend is giving you the 2700X, you should consider just going drop in upgrade. Your motherboard will support it. If this includes the stock cooler it should be fine with that motherboard. I would, in fact, recommend that you stay with a downdraft cooler in order to help cool the motherboard VRM.

As far as the future plan for graphics card, I would consider going ahead with this update cycle to add a nicer 550+ W power supply. Prices are on the high side right now still riding the Christmas wave, but you should be able to find something suitable for ~$60.
The 2700X is still a quite relevant CPU and should be a nice in place upgrade to what you have going now, as well as to pair well with the 3060 later. Particularly since it is a gift.

Are you sure I should keep my motherboard? One of my friends said that my motherboard supports the CPU but it might still give me bad FPS or some other problems may occur.
My bios is latest version currently
I would of course rather keep my current motherboard (if possible with no problems in future) because it's a big hassle to swap out a motherboard and I would pay someone to do it.
I plan on getting a 700W psu or something there.

Nov 6, 2022
Only you know how high up the perf ladder you want to go.

Your mobo should support the 2700x.
Get a quality 750w psu.....7-10yr warranty..... that should handle most mid range gpu upgrades..
Cooler? ....... i'll leave to others to advise.

My mobo supports the 2700x, but is it good to still use my board? My friend told me it may have problems along the way (maybe) or bad FPS etc.
My bios is latest

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are you sure I should keep my motherboard? One of my friends said that my motherboard supports the CPU but it might still give me bad FPS or some other problems may occur.

Yes, why not? It is a gift that costs you some time, paste, and maybe a cooler. Why not see how it does before spending money on the update?

I would expect that you might see high VRM temps which is why I suggested using the downdraft cooler. It may not be the optimal board for that CPU but once again I will mention it being free. If it turns out to be that big an issue, then go with a new mobo.

Nov 6, 2022
Yes, why not? It is a gift that costs you some time, paste, and maybe a cooler. Why not see how it does before spending money on the update?

I would expect that you might see high VRM temps which is why I suggested using the downdraft cooler. It may not be the optimal board for that CPU but once again I will mention it being free. If it turns out to be that big an issue, then go with a new mobo.

I just heard from someone maybe it could cause problems with my current board. I’m not sure if he knows much about pcs. Can it cause any issues?
I could get the downdraft cooler any specific one you recommend?

Keep your current motherboard. I'm running a Ryzen 7 5800x on an older b350 board and it's fine. On your board, the highest I would go is the 5600x or 5700x. But keep the board. As far as the power supply you might look into the Corsair rmx series. They are a bit pricey but seem to be very high quality. If you get at least a 750-850 watt that should give room to grow.

For a downdraft cooler, how about something like this. I know you aren't in the US, but it might give an idea of something to look for. This should be the stock cooler for a 2700x and I think can handle up to a 5600x should you upgrade later.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2660598059...28PXdwTfD4zQYNbPe/ZUzVXLs=|tkp:Bk9SR9zv-NivYQ