Question Help regarding CPU n Ram compatibility.

malicsheraz

Prominent
Feb 23, 2023
Hello members
I am trying to make a minimum budget gaming pc... and i bought some stuff... but now i m confused about something...so i need your helps.
I got MSI MAG B560 torpedo, with i3 10generation CPU "10100" and the ram is vengeance LED 3000mhz C15.
and i ve read that 10 gen i3 only supports 2933Mhz of ram... so what i need to know is.. if i use the 3000mhz with the said system.. will it work fine? or should i be worried about overclocking or something?
ive tried to look up .. and i read someplace that the ram will only function at lowest possible compatibility speed which will be 2666 or 2933 or something.. and wont work on 3000mhz... but is it that simple/ or should i get in to BIOS to change the ram speed or something???
appreciate your help.
Thanks

malicsheraz

Prominent
Feb 23, 2023
Don't worry too much, everything is automated and will run at JEDEC standards. This is the exact reason it was invented.
Just make sure the ram is DDR4.
Thanks... but someone said "If you have 3000Mhz RAM you will not be able to enable XMP and will need to manually set the RAM speed and voltage in the BIOS. " do i really have to do that? or i need not worry n run it as its normal

if i use the 3000mhz with the said system.. will it work fine? or should i be worried about overclocking or something?
but is it that simple/ or should i get in to BIOS to change the ram speed or something???
Your motherboard supports ram overclocking up to 5000mhz.
So 3000mhz shouldn't be a problem.

You have to go into BIOS and enable XMP.
It's turned off by default.

Reactions: malicsheraz
First of all, it is best to ask questions BEFORE you buy.

You will have no problem with 3000 speed ram.
Ram sticks will boot at minimum default speed of 2400 or so to let you get into the bios.
Once in the bios, you can select a higher speed if your motherboard/cpu/ram can support it.
Ram faster than stock is technically overclocked.
That is the voltage will be increased to higher than default to make the ram run at higher speed.

Ram will have stored several profiles of speed,timings and voltage in XMP profiles embedded in the ram sticks themselves.

This "overclocking" is done in the bios, either explicitly or by selecting a XMP profile.

Feb 20, 2023
Thanks... but someone said "If you have 3000Mhz RAM you will not be able to enable XMP and will need to manually set the RAM speed and voltage in the BIOS. " do i really have to do that? or i need not worry n run it as its normal
My reply was very clear and other people here confirmed it too.
It's all automated, first time boot will load JEDEC standard, regardless if its 3000 Mhz or 3000000 Mhz.
If you want it to run at other speeds you will manually need to enable and set those values.