[SOLVED] help regarding faulty cpu or motherboard

Apr 3, 2020
I have been having these weird problems with a R5 2600 and B450 Tomahawk, when booted to windows (mostly during cold boots), my mouse cursor would randomly lock up, display would go black and then the cpu debug led would be lit on the motherboard and I would have to press and hold the power button to reboot into windows. First many suggested to change my psu which I did to a Corsair CX 650 - which didn't help solve the problem. So I contacted MSI support and they gave me a Beta bios for the mobo which also did nothing to fix the problem.

Things I have seen / done so far:
  1. I have re-seated both CPU and RAM
  2. Changed the psu to a better one
  3. Run memtest with no errors for 4-5 hours.
  4. Enabled ErP ready mode in BIOS (maybe decreased frequency of the issue slightly but not sure)
  5. Enabled Game Boost Mode in Bios - This gets an all core oc of 3.85GHz @ 1.300V. -- This helps quite a lot and the issue seems to go away almost entirely.
  6. With game boost disabled, the issue persists almost every time i boot up. Also sometimes the cursor would lock up and then get fixed (sort of a hitch) and the pc wont turn off.
  7. All CPU temps are normal even with game boost enabled -- 45C while gaming and 62C while running prime95 (small FFT) .

I can either ask AMD for RMA or visit MSI RMA center. But I can't decide whether its the CPU or the motherboard that is faulty.

Can anyone help me regarding this?

Thanks for replying in advance :).

System Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
MSI B450 Tomahawk (running latest beta bios provided by MSI support)
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz (8Gbx2)
Corsair CX 650 psu
Sapphire RX 470 4G

Solution
What version of Windows 10 are you running?
Its version 2004 after a fresh install few days back, before that it was the 1909 version with the same problem.

But I have finally figured out the problem, it was my GPU. I borrowed an Nvidia card from my friend and no more crashing. Funny how it would trigger the CPU led on the motherboard.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Apr 3, 2020
If you run the system with the BIOS at default settings does it happen ? I mean default...no memory or other adjustments at all.
Without xmp , the problem happens with the same frequency as with xmp.

Disabling the game boost setting in bios (mentioned in the post) which applies an all core oc of 3.85GHz at 1.3V, the problem comes back.

Which means after a bios factory reset, the issue remains. Only after applying the game boost in bios, the issue seems happen much less frequently.

Apr 3, 2020
What version of Windows 10 are you running?
Its version 2004 after a fresh install few days back, before that it was the 1909 version with the same problem.

But I have finally figured out the problem, it was my GPU. I borrowed an Nvidia card from my friend and no more crashing. Funny how it would trigger the CPU led on the motherboard.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS