Help - Remove non-existent CDROM drive

Raaid

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
At some time, my laptop had the CDROM drive replaced. However, the old CDROM drive is still showing in System Information. How can this be removed?

System Information shows two optical drives: -
Logical Drive D: CDROM HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241D
Logical Drive F: CDROM ML3032L OLU607O SCSI

Drive D: is an LG CD/DVD drive which is fitted, but has problems recognising some disks.
Drive F: is not fitted.

The BIOS shows only one CD/DVD, a Secondary Master.
I've tried removing Drive F: from System Hardware, but cannot.
I'd appreciate help.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Try this. Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. Right click on the Drive letter and Click Change Letter. One of your options is to Remove See if that works, just make sure you Click on the Drive you want to get rid of

Raaid

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks g-paw, but prior to posting, I did all the normal Computer Management things.

The problem was solved when I realised that this was a 'ghost' entry and the removal of 'Daemon tools', which had been used by the previous owner of the laptop, got rid of the non-existent hardware!

gone fishin'

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Gpaw thanks for the advice, I have a Samsung 300ld Hd which had a error during the install of XP PRO, i had partitioned the drivr into 4 drives after the install I had 5 and 250G was unusable, I followed your instructions and IT"S FIXED,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Glad it worked for you, Santa comes through :)

Cibalia

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I have a problematical variation.
I have a non-existant CD drive listed on the My Computer list with a letter I need for another drive (don't ask!). Unfortunately, it doesn't appear in the devices list or computer management list, so I cannot remove it or change it's allocated letter. Any ideas?
Thanks

G

thanks - it was a removable drive on my computer but it worked great and was very quick.
Cheers
Tom

trivera648

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

CIBALIA

Do you have any CD Emulation software on your computer? ie Alcohol 120, PowerISO etc etc?

G

I have exactly the same problem than Cibalia and yes, I have installed powerISO in my PC. Amy suggestions?

CMSgt

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009

G Paw

I had a non existent A: drive (3 1/2 in Floopy) appear out of nowhere earlier this evening. I followed your instructions, but the A drive wasn't recognizable in Disk Management....after stumbling around, I opened Device Manager and there was Floppy Disk and Floppy Disk Controller...right clicking and removing did the trick. Forwarding this in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Bill

IAISIS

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Aha i had the same prob and yes i had poweriso running didnt even realise it lol thanks for the info
After i shut poweriso down i could change my drive letter back for my portable HDD

eccentricegg

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I have a similar problem. I have six non-existent drives (letters F-K) and they do not show up in Computer Management, or device manager. They only appear in MyComputer or Explorer in general. I have never had and don't have any virtual cd software installed.
I believe the drives are a throwback from previously mounted usb keydrives that left the ghost drives. I have shutdown, restarted and tried refreshing the explorer window all with no success.
The drives only started appearing in the past 6 hours or so and I have not installed anything in that time nor have i run anything unusual aside from my browsers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

eccentricegg

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Well the problem continued for several days and got to the point that non-existent drives reached F-P but yesterday, without any intervention on my part, after I restarted my PC the problem was resolved. Not sure why or how it started and not sure what fixed it but it's fixed either way :D