Help! Replaced CPU and now pc won't boot

zigs12

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
I have an old Gateway GT5692 that came with a Foxconn RS780 Bengal mobo. I was very limited on money for upgrade so I purchased a AMD Phenom II X6 1045t as a replacement for my Phenom I X3 8450. Both are 95 watt cpus.

Officially my mobo only supports Phenom I cpus but saw online that as long as the bios was up to date it could handle a phenom II and may say unidentified cpu but still work.

Now PC starts lights, fans etc go on but can't even get into bios and nothing shows on screen either. I just was on the computer 15 minutes earlier.

I went back and checked all of my connections to no avail.

Any ideas?

1. Bad CPU?

2. Gateway not upgradeable?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Gateway says: "Supports AMD® Socket AM2+ (940 pin), AMD Phenom™ (95 W), Athlon™ 64 X2, Athlon 64, and Sempron™ processors..."

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I guess you had it coming ....

NEVER try to force a CPU series on a mobo that doesn't officially support it, especially if you have an OEM pc.
I'm afraid that you have to either :
Get back to old CPU .
Or :
start a new build because your mobo -even worse- supports DDR2 memory only, so if you want to get benefit from your new CPU you'll have to get new mobo & ram.

Sorry my friend, but you're at dead end with that :(

zigs12

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured that might be the case. Looks like I will have to wait a few paychecks but will have to grab a new mobo + DDR3 Ram + Windows 7.