[SOLVED] HELP Replaced CPU Monday, today it doesn't seem normal.

iDoughtyyy

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015
Right so, I have recently upgraded from a Ryzen 7 2700x to a Ryzen 7 5800x (on Monday). I played games for a couple hours Monday and a few more hours today, most notably R6S on Monday and BF2042 Beta today, but also R6S today.
I log on now and my Spotify keeps crashing when I launch, so I uninstall and try to reinstall it. Installer keeps crashing. Multiple other installers keep crashing now so I can't install anything.
Ok so I then try to load up a game. I try R6S which has been working since I replaced CPU. Now it won't load. Stuck on little popup on desktop whilst it loads.

I am worried either I messed up installing CPU (first time I did it as its a prebuilt PC) or I have a virus, but my anti virus hasn't found anything.

Things just seem very odd and I'm not sure what to think of it.

Before this all happened my keyboard wouldn't work, just the escape key which opened the windows menu. I held windows key and pressed every key and one of them seemed to fix it. Just want to add everything so a solution or cause can be more easily found.

Motherboard is ASUS PRIME B450M-A II, my PSU is Corsair CV650, GPU is RX 5700xt, maybe PSU cant cope.
I have tried to update chipset and BIOS however the WinRar file will crash before I have the chance to do anything.

Thank you for any help you can give, I'm a little worried about my new CPU being damaged or worse.

Luke

Solution
Your OS is pending update. Also, after you've made sure your OS is on 21H1, uninstall your chipset drivers and then manually reinstall with the latest drivers sourced from AMD's support site.

Lutfij

Titan
Corsair CV650
That PSU is a glorified(relabeled) VS unit. No it's not a reliably built unit.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your BIOS file, you should use a donor system to prep the USB drive with the BIOS file on it. On the topic of BIOS, you shouldn't jump to the latest version. Instead gradually work to the latest after you've identified the current BIOS version on your motherboard.

Just for the sake of relevance, can you list your specs for us like so:
CPU+CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
OS: version(not edition) of the OS if you're on Windows 10.

Reactions: iDoughtyyy

iDoughtyyy

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015
Corsair CV650
That PSU is a glorified(relabeled) VS unit. No it's not a reliably built unit.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your BIOS file, you should use a donor system to prep the USB drive with the BIOS file on it. On the topic of BIOS, you shouldn't jump to the latest version. Instead gradually work to the latest after you've identified the current BIOS version on your motherboard.

Just for the sake of relevance, can you list your specs for us like so:
CPU+CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
OS: version(not edition) of the OS if you're on Windows 10.

CPU+CPU cooler: Ryzen 7 5800x (old cpu ryzen 7 2700x) and CoolerMaster Hyper 212 RGB
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450M-A II
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz (1x16GB)
SSD/HDD: Corsair Force MP510 240GB M.2 NVMe & Seagate 1TB BarraCuda
GPU: ASUS DUAL Radeon RX 5700 XT OC 8GB Evo
PSU: Corsair 650W CV650
Chassis: EG Diamond

I am on BIOS version 2409. As I say it was a prebuilt I bought in december last year and I just haven't thought of updating BIOS and chipset although I have kept GPU up to date.
I have tried to download BIOS update, and I get an exe called  BIOSRenamer.exe and CAP file called PRIME-B450M-A-II-ASUS-3211. Not sure what to do with them.

EDIT: Adobe Lightroom works fine, which makes it even more confusing to me as to why simple things like WinRar crash within 5 seconds.

EDIT 2: So I have installed BIOS update. It didn't help. I then installed new chipset drivers through CMD. This worked. I could loads games, install Spotify etc.

I restarted my PC as it said I should and now everything is back to how it was.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Windows 10 is the OS, Home is the edition of said OS while X64 is the architecture. You didn't mention the version of the OS. That can be found by right clicking Start>System>Should be at the bottom of the newly popped up window.

For the sake of relevance, can you state what BIOS version you're on now? Furthermore, that PSU shouldn't be considered a PSU. It's not reliably built...actually is a rebadged VS unit which is a horrible unit.

Reactions: iDoughtyyy

iDoughtyyy

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015
Windows 10 is the OS, Home is the edition of said OS while X64 is the architecture. You didn't mention the version of the OS. That can be found by right clicking Start>System>Should be at the bottom of the newly popped up window.

For the sake of relevance, can you state what BIOS version you're on now? Furthermore, that PSU shouldn't be considered a PSU. It's not reliably built...actually is a rebadged VS unit which is a horrible unit.

Sorry, OS version 19042.1237.

Now on BIOS version 3211.
There is only one updated chipset driver from what I had before and I have installed that.