Question Help replacing battery in HP laptop

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hello,

I am looking to replace a “swelling/bulging” battery in our HP Envy 360 Convertible laptop (model #15-cp0053cl). I opened up the case and the existing battery is an HP LK03XL (I believe HP part #L09281-855).

I have found numerous generic versions online but few if any original OEM HP batteries. I have no problem installing a generic battery, in fact if it would perform flawlessly as the original, I would probably prefer such as I assume it would be much less expensive. However, I have read that upon reboot, these HP laptops will display a non-compliant warning message when any non-OEM battery is installed.

Can anyone shed any additional info on this, particularly where to purchase and how to proceed if there is some unique installation procedure required?

Thanks,
Steve K.

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I contacted HP and they provided me with the part number (#L09281-855 ). BUT, apparently HP has decided to no longer sell these (go figure). So I went looking for the item elsewhere (Amazon, Ebay, etc.). I found some but nobody could or would confirm this is exctly what I need.

I guess I'll just roll the dice and see what happens. I'm probably going the Amazon route because of their return policy if the item does not work.

Thanks,
Steve K.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
This PC?

HP ENVY x360 - 15-cp0053cl Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It would seem like the battery for this would just now be coming around needing replaced with proper care.

I am not sure if this is model specific or whether I just accidentally ended up there myself, but it seems like this could be an Australian model?
When searching I cannot find anywhere to specifically buy a battery from HP or to be properly directed there. I found this page:

Support Search Results | HP®️ Support

There is a green box to the upper right that states "order or buy HP batteries" from which is asks if I want the AU or US site. Neither of those actually take me to a place I could look for a battery, I keep running into "walls" where the support site is asking for the serial number or to run the auto detect program.

With all that said, generic batteries can be really hit or miss. Most often I get something that works but for less time off power and a shorter lifespan in general. In a quick search online it appears that some retailers (Micro Center for instance) are warranty and service centers for the HP brand, so perhaps you could ask of some local repair about it as well.

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks Punkncat for your input. That is the exact machine in question. It was purchased from Costco a little over two years ago (now out of warranty). I just purchased a generic aftermarket battery from Amazon. I hope this does what we are looking for although I suspect we will probably see the annoying non-compliant OEM part warning message. Keeping my fingers crossed. . .

Thanks again,
Steve K