HELP Rugged Lacie

Louis_34

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
I plug my lacie 1tb lacie rugged into my both mac computers. And every time i hear a sound like a beep beep beep beep, like the drive has an issue turning on. I have tried this once and I had to réinitialise it. Can someone help, I have all my video for a commercial SO I WOULD BE RELLY GLAD if anyone could help me.

If you need any practical information, just ask.
Best regards Louis.

Solution
Seek out professional recovery right away, and avoid powering that drive on any further. With each beep, it could be destroying your data. These generally use HGST drives internally, so hopefully should be a good recovery result. Where are you located in the world? Perhaps I can recommend a lab in your area/country.

JaredDM

Honorable
Seek out professional recovery right away, and avoid powering that drive on any further. With each beep, it could be destroying your data. These generally use HGST drives internally, so hopefully should be a good recovery result. Where are you located in the world? Perhaps I can recommend a lab in your area/country.

Solution

BadAsAl

Distinguished
How much are you willing to spend to get at the data? Most recovery services run hundreds of dollars and I have heard people getting quoted over a thousand before.
If you are never going to spend that kind of money then you might as well try getting at the data yourself.
I would pull the drive out of the enclosure and try another USB enclosure to see if it is the Lacie hardware gone bad. If that doesn't work then you might need to run some recovery software, there are a lot out there and most will let you demo them so you can see if the data is recoverable before you pay.

JaredDM

Honorable

If the drive is clicking or beeping, there is absolutely no point in trying this.

@OP, just keep in mind that if you lose the data due to failed DIY attempts, the result is usually permanent. So before you rule out professional service, be sure you can live with losing the data forever.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
I have successfully recovered data on clicking drives so I would say there is a point in trying anything and everything to get the data IF you are not willing to spend the kind of money that a professional service charges. I have had 2 people send in drives to 2 different data recovery companies who quoted over $1000 to recover, but when they got the drives they were unable to do anything. And these were drives that were untouched by any other technician. And one of the companies kept the drive for 3 months before sending it back. I realize that we probably just got unlucky and there are good companies out there but I now tell people who are willing to pay the money that they are on their own for finding a data recovery company.

So JaredDM How does your company price for your data recovery?

JaredDM

Honorable

For single HDD recoveries we rarely ever charge over $1000. More typical is in the $450-650 range plus the cost of parts such as donor heads if needed. I understand what you're saying about some USB adapters going bad and underpowering drives, but I've never seen this with Lacie Rugged ones. That was more of a Maxtor issue, occasionally a WD issue. HGST drives, however, aren't usually prone to click from being underpowered.

You can see our full pricing here: https://www.data-medics.com/cost-of-data-recovery/