Question HELP! Screen Turns Black and PC Restarts Randomly

Jul 9, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am having issues with my first custom-built PC I bought a month ago. I am fairly new to desktops so bear with me, please.

First, I'll describe the issue as best as I can. This has happened a handful of times; enough to bother me.

The first few times, I was clicking between Google Chrome tabs while watching Youtube. The screen turned black and my mouse and keyboard turned off too, but the PC stayed on. So I had to turn it off by holding the power button and then pressing it again to turn it on.

The next time it happened, I clicked a new tab and the screen froze for a second, and I heard a buzzing/stuttering sound. Then, everything turned black and the PC restarted on its own.

Two nights ago, I was editing some videos in Hitfilm Express with no issues. Suddenly, when I clicked the preview slider, it froze but recovered. I didn't think much of it, so I proceeded to drag it again. The PC froze, everything turned black, and the PC restarted itself.

Today, I was playing some video games (Valorant by Riot Games). Played for hours with no issues. Went AFK for about an hour. Came back and was clicking around the menus, and then it froze, turned black, and restarted.

The cause of the restart seems very random. But each time, it has frozen and restarted due to me clicking something. Does this cause harm to my PC hardware/software in any way? I'm usually not doing anything important so no harm to me besides any unsaved work.

Opening event viewer shows the PC crash as Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, Category (63).

Specs:

Mobo - MSI Tomohawk B450
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU - XFX Radeon RX 5600XT THICC II
RAM - 16gb DDR4 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport
PSU - EVGA 750W

I have consulted my PC friend and have tried the following so far:
Uninstalled graphics driver with AMD cleanup utility and reinstalled with auto-detect and install software
Ran Unigine Valley for 10 minutes (didn't crash)
Ran IntelBurnTest standard test, 10 times (didn't crash)
Windows memory diagnostic tool (no issues found)
Changed XMP to default and DRAM Frequency to Auto

PC crashed today despite trying all of the above.

I also have CPUID HWMonitor but I'm not sure how to make sense of the readings.

I don't have an extra system to test things on as other users with a similar issue have been suggested to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hi everyone,

I am having issues with my first custom-built PC I bought a month ago. I am fairly new to desktops so bear with me, please.

First, I'll describe the issue as best as I can. This has happened a handful of times; enough to bother me.

The first few times, I was clicking between Google Chrome tabs while watching Youtube. The screen turned black and my mouse and keyboard turned off too, but the PC stayed on. So I had to turn it off by holding the power button and then pressing it again to turn it on.

The next time it happened, I clicked a new tab and the screen froze for a second, and I heard a buzzing/stuttering sound. Then, everything turned black and the PC restarted on its own.

Two nights ago, I was editing some videos in Hitfilm Express with no issues. Suddenly, when I clicked the preview slider, it froze but recovered. I didn't think much of it, so I proceeded to drag it again. The PC froze, everything turned black, and the PC restarted itself.

Today, I was playing some video games (Valorant by Riot Games). Played for hours with no issues. Went AFK for about an hour. Came back and was clicking around the menus, and then it froze, turned black, and restarted.

The cause of the restart seems very random. But each time, it has frozen and restarted due to me clicking something. Does this cause harm to my PC hardware/software in any way? I'm usually not doing anything important so no harm to me besides any unsaved work.

Opening event viewer shows the PC crash as Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, Category (63).

Specs:

Mobo - MSI Tomohawk B450
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU - XFX Radeon RX 5600XT THICC II
RAM - 16gb DDR4 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport
PSU - EVGA 750W

I have consulted my PC friend and have tried the following so far:
Uninstalled graphics driver with AMD cleanup utility and reinstalled with auto-detect and install software
Ran Unigine Valley for 10 minutes (didn't crash)
Ran IntelBurnTest standard test, 10 times (didn't crash)
Windows memory diagnostic tool (no issues found)
Changed XMP to default and DRAM Frequency to Auto

PC crashed today despite trying all of the above.

I also have CPUID HWMonitor but I'm not sure how to make sense of the readings.

I don't have an extra system to test things on as other users with a similar issue have been suggested to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
I was not long ago looking at some RX5600xt's and It could be a defective one with bad drivers. Do you have any other card maybe you can test it out on? Or dry removing the drivers completely just to see if the display adapter works fine. If it works, then it is the 5600xt with issues.

Jul 9, 2020
I was not long ago looking at some RX5600xt's and It could be a defective one with bad drivers. Do you have any other card maybe you can test it out on? Or dry removing the drivers completely just to see if the display adapter works fine. If it works, then it is the 5600xt with issues.

I don't have an extra card to swap and test with unfortunately. I removed the graphics driver completely, and the PC ran fine without it. I only ran it without the GPU driver for 10 mins, so not long enough to see if its actually the GPU or not imo.

Unigine Valley ran very well for 10 minutes without crashes. Is that enough to rule out a defective gpu?

It seems to crash only when I'm doing light tasks, like browsing the internet or clicking around. It has not crashed when put under a stress test yet.