Help! Seagate or WD Black?

philipemad

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I'm building a new gaming rig and my last option is storage, I decided to not go with ssd for now due to tight budget,

Here are the HDD I picked out

Seagate Barracuda 1 TB $80
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB $100
Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb $130

I live in Saudi Arabia that's why the prices are a bit different and all of the items have 1 year warranty

So with the black's 5 year warranty omitted, which hard drive would be better
I will be using it as a single primary hard drive to store my OS and all my games

The store owner told me the WD maintains high speeds when transferring large files because of better buffer, but I dont get it, dont both of them have 64mb cache?

I just want to know what will be best and most reliable

I will buy the Hdd in a couple of hours so a quick response would be much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

Solution
WD generally builds better HDD's but if your looking to save money Seagates are fine. I'm currently using one for extra space for my media & it's a 2005. Shows up CRC errors with SpinRite but the drive works fine otherwise. All drives fail at some point even WD do so just have a backup handy.

I have noticed that viruses and a cluttered system (junk and fragmented files) will reduce the life of a hard drive, the same with heat. Remove junk files, defragment on the regular basis (depending on how often/how bad it is i use CCleaner and Defraggler) & keep the temps around 30-40 C and you should be good.

jaideep1337

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
The seagate would only be a little bit slower than the black and it would be hardly noticeable. So go for the seagate since the WD is much more expensive.

Main reason to get the WD would be the warranty but since its the same as the seagate then its obviously better to buy the cheaper drive.

Enjoy

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
WD generally builds better HDD's but if your looking to save money Seagates are fine. I'm currently using one for extra space for my media & it's a 2005. Shows up CRC errors with SpinRite but the drive works fine otherwise. All drives fail at some point even WD do so just have a backup handy.

I have noticed that viruses and a cluttered system (junk and fragmented files) will reduce the life of a hard drive, the same with heat. Remove junk files, defragment on the regular basis (depending on how often/how bad it is i use CCleaner and Defraggler) & keep the temps around 30-40 C and you should be good.

Solution

philipemad

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I ended up buying the black
Quick question my mobo has a sata II , should I change the pins on the back to reduce the bandwidth to 3gb/s or should I leave it to default