Help Securing a Guest network on my Netgear router

bfofre

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Thanks in advance for your help....

I am setting up a wireless network at my workplace, (using netgear WNDR3700) and need to be able to provide customers with access to internet.
However, the problem i often have is our employees eventually gain access to the network and stream video, facebook etc etc while on work time.
I want to limit the access of the guest network to not be able to do these types of things...
However, when i set up "blocked sites" on the network, it limits myself and other management to be able to surf, stream etc... Seems we are behind the firewall. I don't want that...

I was thinking do i need to add another standalone wireless router just for guests and limit that one??

I'm stuck here... I know just enough to get things going with wireless, but certainly am no expert.

Look forward to your ideas!

Solution
It is the standard router behind a router that is normally not recommended....because people actually want the 2 networks to talk but you don't.

So you plug the wan port of the new router into some lan port on your current router. After that you set the new router up and just pretend your main router is the ISP. It will give your second router a IP address for its wan port just like a ISP.
You could put in a second wireless router just for guest and plug it into a lan port of your main router. You would also need to place a restriction that they could not get to the IP addresses used by your main network. The second router since its wan port is plugged into your lan thinks the lan is actually internet.

A second router on a different channel and a different subnet will be the easy way to do this.

If you are very ambitious you can load third party firmware like dd-wrt on your current router. This firmware give you the ability to define guest vlans and assign different security rules.....if money is not a issue I would do it the easy way and buy a second router. Make sure you buy one that has good firewall ability since you want to filter stuff

bfofre

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
I was thinking second wireless router.....That was my initial idea..
I guess i'll have to take a closer look at how to do that. So as they can't get further access.

Any advice on this hook-up would be appreciated.

It is the standard router behind a router that is normally not recommended....because people actually want the 2 networks to talk but you don't.

So you plug the wan port of the new router into some lan port on your current router. After that you set the new router up and just pretend your main router is the ISP. It will give your second router a IP address for its wan port just like a ISP.

Solution

bfofre

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Got it... I'll go pickup a second router..
Anything special i need to do on the new / old routers??

I will set the new router with severe limitations for streaming etc... That's going to be a whole other issue for me to figure out...but one step at a time!