[SOLVED] Help selecting a new modem/router/ONT?? device

Aug 6, 2019
Greetings gents I would really appreciate your help in this matter.

My current modem/router/ONT?? device
https://e.huawei.com/in/products/enterprise-transmission-access/access/onu/echolife-eg8145v5
(which is this one above)
has been giving me massive headaches since under heavy load it is losing signal strength randomly. The signal then comes back to normal then goes back down and keeps zigzagging until it arbitrarily cuts out and then comes back arbitrarily after some time

I called my ISPs customer care asking for replacement for this particular device which preferably wasn't this same model. They had no idea.

Could you please direct me to a device which would at minimum replace like for like functionality.

Solution
As you found out you can not really replace ONT devices. To a point I am really surprised these even exist since fiber is so easy to break you don't want the end customer even touching it. Most ONT devices used by providers in the USA are mounted to the wall and only provide simple media conversion they do not have router or wifi function.

If your problem is wifi you can buy another router or AP to place in front of the ISP box. Turn off the Wifi radios in the ISP box and use your own. This should help wifi problems caused by the ISP device.

If the problem also occurs on ethernet connected devices you are kinda stuck. Ask the ISP if they have a device that will only act as a modem. It may be possible to set the current box...

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Get a router that can support the plan you wish to take.

If you want to enjoy 50+ Mbps speeds, consider some dual band wifi router.

but the wireless device must support 802.11 AC

Some have even 4 or 5 antennas but don't expect to see a big improvement in signal range.

It is mostly limited to 10 metres.

Aug 6, 2019
Get a router that can support the plan you wish to take.

If you want to enjoy 50+ Mbps speeds, consider some dual band wifi router.

but the wireless device must support 802.11 AC

Some have even 4 or 5 antennas but don't expect to see a big improvement in signal range.

It is mostly limited to 10 metres.
Thanks for the reply but that's not exactly what I was looking for.

After a bit more digging I found the device in question is quite an esoteric unit.

It's classified as a gpon hgu(home gateway unit). It's major specifications being ITU-T G.984/G.988.

It doesn't seem to be manufactured by any major(apart from Huawei) equipment manufacturers. Oh well.

As you found out you can not really replace ONT devices. To a point I am really surprised these even exist since fiber is so easy to break you don't want the end customer even touching it. Most ONT devices used by providers in the USA are mounted to the wall and only provide simple media conversion they do not have router or wifi function.

If your problem is wifi you can buy another router or AP to place in front of the ISP box. Turn off the Wifi radios in the ISP box and use your own. This should help wifi problems caused by the ISP device.

If the problem also occurs on ethernet connected devices you are kinda stuck. Ask the ISP if they have a device that will only act as a modem. It may be possible to set the current box to bridge but from what others have said you might not be able to do that yourself.

Reactions: HellsPerfectSpawn
Solution
Aug 6, 2019

If the problem also occurs on ethernet connected devices you are kinda stuck. Ask the ISP if they have a device that will only act as a modem. It may be possible to set the current box to bridge but from what others have said you might not be able to do that yourself.
Apparently such a passive network is just cheaper for the ISPs(that is as long as the optical fiber itself doesn't break) to implement.

The all in one box is another cost cutting venture I guess.

First step is just replacing this box for another and hoping I have more luck with that. If not then we shall see.