Question Help selecting desktop power supply

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wolfsmane

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
I have a older home built desktop running Windows 10.
My current power supply is a Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Bronze.
Gigabyte GA-P45T-ES3G Motherboard.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz CPU.
4 sticks of Geil 4GB PC3-12800 CL9-9-9-28 1.5V ram, 16GB total.
ASUS GTX760 Graphics card.
1 - SSD running the OS
4 - HDD for storage
2 - DVD burners

The PSU blew out a resistor and died.

It's been so long since I built this computer, that I can't remember what is best in a PSU for this set up. I would like a PSU that will not only work for this set up, but will also work in a similar set up when this system dies or becomes obsolete.
When the time comes that I have to replace this computer with a newer model, it will not be used for gaming. The hardest thing this computer does is photo and video editing and storage, and general web surfing, video streaming. That is also what a new desktop will do for me, when the time comes. I hope for this one to last until Windows 10 is no longer supported.

I know I want a completely modular PSU, 750W -1000W, power efficient, low noise, doesn't need pretty lights.

Other than that, I don't know what else I need to look for.

I would be much appreciate if someone could point out a couple of good PSU's that would fit my needs please.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
There was a reason to go with Entry-level budget PSU... Core2 Quad PCSs are Cheaper to build . My spending half of the Money in PSU with cheap builds. Is just not make sense in Quad core PSU..
Then you didn't read the original poster's entire post. They wanted a PSU with much more wattage and more durable overall, so that when they build a new modern system, they could carry the PSU over to that new machine.

Reactions: wolfsmane

wolfsmane

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
LOL, why ? What's even the point of this thread if you're going to order something completely different, with zero reviews on ...

Because King_V directed me to read Darkbreezes write up on on selecting psu's. According to that write up , Super Flowers are good psu's. He showed the low end being the Leadex, then the Leadex 2 and then the Leadex 3. He stopped at 3 I assume because it was an older write up, so I assumed that the Leadex V would naturally be a newer version.

If you know this to be a poor psu, I would rather you explain my mistake instead of berating me for making a poor choice.

Edited to add: it has all Japanese caps in it, it has a 10 year warranty and it comes from a manufacturer, instead of a reseller. I wasn't getting a good feeling of the Corsairs reviews talking about how stiff the cables were, others having issues where the heard popping sounds from them and it is on backorder and I need it now.

Last edited:

wolfsmane

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
Yeah, toward the end of the AM3 era, AMD was pushing older architecture a bit hard. And Intel sat on its laurels, definitely ahead of AMD, but offering only minimal increments in performance every cycle, generation, and requiring a new motherboard every generation.

When Ryzen was introduced, Intel was put on notice. Took them a while, but they finally got off of their behinds and started making significant improvements, albeit with some mis-steps along the way.
Oh ok, I didn't know that. I stopped paying attention after this Q6600 build since I knew this would last me a good while.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
According to that write up , Super Flowers are good psu's.

Not how it works, Super Flower, Seasonic, Corsair or anything else are not 'good PSU', because these are brands. Their specific models can be good, or not so much, or straight up bad, depending on what you look at. You can't just assume that just because the brand has some good models - that the rest would be just as good.

He stopped at 3 I assume because it was an older write up, so I assumed that the Leadex V would naturally be a newer version.

He stopped at Leadex III because, yes, it's a older post first, but second, which is more important - there are no reviews on this model.

If you know this to be a poor psu, I would rather you explain my mistake

I don't know for sure that it's bad, but i don't know if it's good either. But there's a review on Leadex V Pro Platinum, and it's not so good. 103% OPP, meaning it has basically no power delivery margin whereas it's normal for this kind of PSU to have 20-30% margin, meaning that compared to competition, this 850W PSU you've bought is really rather 700W one if the Platinum and Gold versions are similarly built and configured. It also has 20AWG wires in PCIe cables past the first connector which makes them near useless. They've saved like a buck at most on that, not the kind of move i expect from a 'top-tier' OEM as some people boast them to do with a 300$ PSU.

Yes, it's a bad choice. Corsair RM-x and EVGA G6 would be better.

it has all Japanese caps in it

Irrelevant, all 'Japanese' capacitors you see in consumer PSUs are of Chinese origin now anyway, made on the same factories as some other 'non-Japanese' brands. Besides, capacitors are not the only important, and not even the most important components of a PSU.

it has a 10 year warranty

Near irrelevant too, Gigabyte P-GM has 10y warranty too. It's a nice to have for sure, but not a sign of quality.

it comes from a manufacturer, instead of a reseller

Doesn't mean anything either. Considering it's a 150$ 700W PSU when you can get some 850W for 40$ cheaper which are better at least because they're well reviewed.

I wasn't getting a good feeling of the Corsairs reviews talking about how stiff the cables were

That's kinda the 'problem' with Corsair PSUs but they're stiff because they're 16AWG, whereas even Seasonic uses 18AWG and well, Super Flower is 20-22AWG. There are also in-cable capacitors which make things even worse. But all in all while these cables are complete PITA to work with, if you aren't going to rewire it monthly then it's kinda irrelevant, do it once and forget. There's also Corsair RM and White versions of RM-x which don't have in-cable capacitors.

it is on backorder and I need it now.

Sure, EVGA G6 then. It's 15$ cheaper than even RM so it's kinda default choice anyway.

wolfsmane

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
Not how it works, Super Flower, Seasonic, Corsair or anything else are not 'good PSU', because these are brands. Their specific models can be good, or not so much, or straight up bad, depending on what you look at. You can't just assume that just because the brand has some good models - that the rest would be just as good.

He stopped at Leadex III because, yes, it's a older post first, but second, which is more important - there are no reviews on this model.

I don't know for sure that it's bad, but i don't know if it's good either. But there's a review on Leadex V Pro Platinum, and it's not so good. 103% OPP, meaning it has basically no power delivery margin whereas it's normal for this kind of PSU to have 20-30% margin, meaning that compared to competition, this 850W PSU you've bought is really rather 700W one if the Platinum and Gold versions are similarly built and configured. It also has 20AWG wires in PCIe cables past the first connector which makes them near useless. They've saved like a buck at most on that, not the kind of move i expect from a 'top-tier' OEM as some people boast them to do with a 300$ PSU.

Yes, it's a bad choice. Corsair RM-x and EVGA G6 would be better.

Irrelevant, all 'Japanese' capacitors you see in consumer PSUs are of Chinese origin now anyway, made on the same factories as some other 'non-Japanese' brands. Besides, capacitors are not the only important, and not even the most important components of a PSU.

Near irrelevant too, Gigabyte P-GM has 10y warranty too. It's a nice to have for sure, but not a sign of quality.

Doesn't mean anything either. Considering it's a 150$ 700W PSU when you can get some 850W for 40$ cheaper which are better at least because they're well reviewed.

That's kinda the 'problem' with Corsair PSUs but they're stiff because they're 16AWG, whereas even Seasonic uses 18AWG and well, Super Flower is 20-22AWG. There are also in-cable capacitors which make things even worse. But all in all while these cables are complete PITA to work with, if you aren't going to rewire it monthly then it's kinda irrelevant, do it once and forget. There's also Corsair RM and White versions of RM-x which don't have in-cable capacitors.

Sure, EVGA G6 then. It's 15$ cheaper than even RM so it's kinda default choice anyway.

I appreciate you pointing out my mistakes, that is helpful. I will be cancelling the Super Flower or sending it back if it's too late.

So, is this 2021 model the one you are referring to?
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-..._rm850x-_-17-139-272-_-Product&quicklink=true

Or get the older version here?
https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-RM85...id=1643379024&sprefix=corsair+,aps,234&sr=8-1

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Because King_V directed me to read Darkbreezes write up on on selecting psu's. According to that write up , Super Flowers are good psu's. He showed the low end being the Leadex, then the Leadex 2 and then the Leadex 3. He stopped at 3 I assume because it was an older write up, so I assumed that the Leadex V would naturally be a newer version.

I could see why that assumption would be made. Also, when I saw your link, at first glance, I thought it was a Leadex III.

I would hope that the Leadex V would follow in the footsteps of the 1, 2, and 3, and it could have very well be an excellent model, but, we just don't really know yet. (I say "we" but I personally am not a PSU expert... I just listen to what those who know more than me say - and having just read the bits Juular revealed, it gives me pause . . but I didn't know about that yesterday).

What really makes me (and I know a few others) jumpy is when EVGA releases a new model, which, I swear, it sometimes feels like they're releasing a new model every hour. Some are great, some are trash, and some are in between.

But, yeah, I concur with Juular, it's one of those things that, until someone's done a proper teardown and full testing with it, ANY newly released model PSU should be second-guessed. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Also, I just learned there's an EVGA G6 . . I thought the G5 was the most modern one until now.

I have not kept up on it, so couldn't say if there's a definitive advantage of the 2021 vs older (I think 2018?) version of the RMx. The reviews of both of them on Tom's Hardware were very positive, though.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-v2-psu,5585.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-2021-power-supply-review

I would be confident in either one. And, since they both have the full 10 year warranty, I'd probably go with the older model because they're generally priced lower, likely to make room for the new version.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
So, is this 2021 model the one you are referring to?
Or get the older version here?
Both good, there are minor differences, but the most important one from a consumer perspective is probably that the 2018' version has 3x PCIe cables and 2021' only 2x, so if you really need a 850W PSU then 2018' one is probably preferable, unless you'd be using after-market cables anyway. At least until Corsair fixes this (it was the case because nVidia initially told them that RTX3xxx would be using EPS cables for 12-pin adapter).