[SOLVED] Help setting up fan curve

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
I have 4 case fans installed in Cooler Master Q300L on a B450mPro4 Mobo. 2 140mm as intakes and 2 120's as a rear and top/rear exhaust.

First Question:
The two front fans are sharing a splitter right no and it says N/A in the bios instead of the RPM's. I do have an open fan header from the water pump fan. I was hoping I could control both thru the single splitter but I'm guessing no?

Second question is how should I go about setting the actual fan curves to get my case more quiet. Any good software recomendations for mapping my heat and whatnot?

Solution
Silent mode has a slightly lower curve and usually caps the max rpm of the fans. I personally find it better than performance mode, which has a more aggressive curve, which has a side affect of making fans Rev up with the minor load changes in idle.

One thing you can check is what fans you have vs bios settings. If your fans are 4 wire, the header mode should be PWM, if the fans only have 3 wires then bios mode should be DC voltage. If bios is set for auto, it may or may not be switching to the correct type.

But, as you say, could also be the fans. DC fans usually run 5v or 7v to 12v, which equates to roughly 40% or 60% to 100%. If the 7v fans, sitting at a max of 2000rpm (ish), you may still be seeing 1200rpm minimums, which is...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Would you happen to have the front 2 fans on a 3way splitter? If so, then change one of the cables, you sound like the 2 fans are on the 3wire slaves, not the 4wire master. The 2 fans will not show up as seperate, they'll show up as a single unit because both are controlled by a single header simultaneously.

There's very limited amounts of fan software, basically you have bios, some vendors like Asus have FanXpert, or there's SpeedFan. There are others, but most are paid and not really any better.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Would you happen to have the front 2 fans on a 3way splitter? If so, then change one of the cables, you sound like the 2 fans are on the 3wire slaves, not the 4wire master. The 2 fans will not show up as seperate, they'll show up as a single unit because both are controlled by a single header simultaneously.

There's very limited amounts of fan software, basically you have bios, some vendors like Asus have FanXpert, or there's SpeedFan. There are others, but most are paid and not really any better.
Ah that was it for the splitter thanks. I just set it in bios to the silent mode for simplicity's sake and it doesn't seem to make much difference... Guess I'll need to get better fans at some point.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Silent mode has a slightly lower curve and usually caps the max rpm of the fans. I personally find it better than performance mode, which has a more aggressive curve, which has a side affect of making fans Rev up with the minor load changes in idle.

One thing you can check is what fans you have vs bios settings. If your fans are 4 wire, the header mode should be PWM, if the fans only have 3 wires then bios mode should be DC voltage. If bios is set for auto, it may or may not be switching to the correct type.

But, as you say, could also be the fans. DC fans usually run 5v or 7v to 12v, which equates to roughly 40% or 60% to 100%. If the 7v fans, sitting at a max of 2000rpm (ish), you may still be seeing 1200rpm minimums, which is still quite audible. Some decent fans with equitable outputs at half that speed would show 400rpm-600rpm minimums which is usually next to silent.

By comparison, pwm fans usually sit around 20-40% minimums, so are much better audibly at idle.

Solution