Help setting up my home network - Uverse 3801HGV modem with dd-wrt's

jborn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi all,

I'm not sure how to setup my home network, so if what I'm attempting to do is the wrong direction, please send me down the correct path.

I have Uverse which means I'm using their 3801HGV modem and it's limited customization. That said it's worked for me for two years and would like to continue to use it as my DHCP server and only wireless access point. I would like to assign Static IPs to some of my computers and routers however to make accessing them easier.

From the 3801HGV I have a dd-wrt router that I'd like to connect an Apple TV and the Uverse DVR to. Currently the wire I have allows the Apple TV or the DVR to work if plugged in directly, but if I put the dd-wrt in between it does not work.

Setting available to me on the 3801HGV:
DHCP Configuration
Under DHCP Network Range
Currently has 192.168.1.0 / 255.255.255.0 (default)
I could select 172.16.0.0 / 255.255.0.0
or Configure manually
Router Address
Subnet Mask
First DHCP Address
Last DHCP Address

I also see a New Device DHCP Pool the a drop down that has Private Network selected. This however is the only option in that drop down list.

I also found another section that has Supplementary Network. Not sure what this section does:
Add Additional Network with a checkbox to Enable it In this section I can configure Router Address and Subnet Mask and Auto Firewall Open

Still under Supplementary Network I can: Add Cascaded Router with a check box to enable it. In this section I can configure Network Address and Subnet Mask. Then I have a drop down to: Choose the router that will host the secondary subnet (or just enter the IP)

On the DD-wrt side I've done the following:
Router IP
Local IP Address: 192.168.1.2 (different from Main router)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (as Main router)
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Local DNS: 192.168.1.254
Network Adrress Server Settings (DHCP)
DHCP type: DHCP forwarder
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.254
In Setup -> Advanced Routing tab:
Operation Mode: Router
In Wireless -> Basic Settings tab:
Wireless Mode: Disabled
other settings as you need
In Services -> Services tab:
DNMasq: disabled
Local DNS: disabled
In Security -> Firewall tab:
SPI Firewall: disabled

Solution
Uverse routers are pretty non standard.

What you likely have is a WAN ip like every other uverse install. Normally you would let it nat the lan subnet say 192.168.1.x to this single wan ip.

In your cases I suspect you have 5 more static ip addresses they gave you....still don't know why it is 5.

You have 3 ways you can run these devices....at least the one you have that has the cascade router firmware option not all have that feature.

First you can directly put one of the 5 ips on the lan port and directly assign the others to servers using a /29 mask.
The next way you can use the 192.168.1.x and do 1-1 nat for assigning the other 5 ip to these addresses.
And the last is the cascade router. In that case you would assign a port on...
WHy you need dd-wrt in the middle? It will give you nothing in return (you still have to connect it's WAN side to the LAN side of UVerse) but troubles.

Check to see whether you can put your UVerse router in Bridge mode (that is, to work as a modem only), then you can use full capabilities of the dd-wrt.

Uverse routers are pretty non standard.

What you likely have is a WAN ip like every other uverse install. Normally you would let it nat the lan subnet say 192.168.1.x to this single wan ip.

In your cases I suspect you have 5 more static ip addresses they gave you....still don't know why it is 5.

You have 3 ways you can run these devices....at least the one you have that has the cascade router firmware option not all have that feature.

First you can directly put one of the 5 ips on the lan port and directly assign the others to servers using a /29 mask.
The next way you can use the 192.168.1.x and do 1-1 nat for assigning the other 5 ip to these addresses.
And the last is the cascade router. In that case you would assign a port on your other router in the 192.168.1.x subnet and then set that ip address as the cascade router and tell it to send the 5 ip there. In effect this is a static route sending this other ip block to the second router.

What is very strange is they really route the whole /29 to you so in theory you should be able to use all 8 addresses or at least the more common 6 that is stated. The uverse device those is somehow preventing this.

It would be so much nicer if they just routed the /29 like most commercial isp connections do.

Solution