[SOLVED] Help Setting up Network

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Hi All,

I need some help setting up my home network, i need it done in a certain way, i dont know much about networks other than a few basic commands, but this is my current set up
n9qgK.jpg

What i want to do is -
  • Red box devices to connect to Router 2 (VPN) for internet access
  • Both Routers have DHCP turned on
  • Red Box devices are not wired into Router 2 (can do if needed)
  • What are the steps i need to follow to this up?

Solution
Is this purely a wiring question or do the red devices also need to talk to the main network.

Going to be a little messy.

Option 1
Hook the 2 small switches to router 2 but configure the vpn to only run the traffic for the 2 red device via the vpn. The vpn client on the router must support this many of the more advanced ones do. The downside is you have a NAT between these 2 device and the other devices on the second network.

Option2.
Spend some money and do this the official way. You could do this by replacing your switches with switches that support vlans. You would place a lan port of the second router and the 2 red device say on vlan 2. You then place all the other device and the wan port on router 2 on vlan 1...

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020
I am obviously missing something... Everything you want through the VPN goes through router 2. Everything else doesn't. What is the conceptual difficulty ?
SeUC8.jpg

This is how eventully i wanted my network to be, im asking is there away (other than physically wireing red box devices into the 2nd router) to only route the red box device internet traffic through the 2nd router?

Is this purely a wiring question or do the red devices also need to talk to the main network.

Option 1
Hook the 2 small switches to router 2 but configure the vpn to only run the traffic for the 2 red device via the vpn. The vpn client on the router must support this many of the more advanced ones do. The downside is you have a NAT between these 2 device and the other devices on the second network.

Option2.
Spend some money and do this the official way. You could do this by replacing your switches with switches that support vlans. You would place a lan port of the second router and the 2 red device say on vlan 2. You then place all the other device and the wan port on router 2 on vlan 1.

Option 3
This is a hack and works but is a very non standard configuration. It is basically the same as vlans without the vlans. You first must assign static IP to the lan port of router 2 and the 2 red devices is a different subnet. Disable the dhcp on router 2 and make sure the gateway on the red device point to router 2 IP. Now the hack is you plug all this into the same switch. You plug both the wan and lan ports of router 2 into the same switch. The other thing you can do is assign a secondary IP address to the red device and they can then access local devices on the main lan.
This is rather risky because it takes very careful configuration. You do something like get both dhcp server active and you get a big mess.

Solution

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020

Option 1

Option2.
Spend some money and do this the official way. You could do this by replacing your switches with switches that support vlans. You would place a lan port of the second router and the 2 red device say on vlan 2. You then place all the other device and the wan port on router 2 on vlan 1.

Option 3
This is a hack and works but is a very non standard configuration. It is basically the same as vlans without the vlans. You first must assign static IP to the lan port of router 2 and the 2 red devices is a different subnet. Disable the dhcp on router 2 and make sure the gateway on the red device point to router 2 IP. Now the hack is you plug all this into the same switch. You plug both the wan and lan ports of router 2 into the same switch. The other thing you can do is assign a secondary IP address to the red device and they can then access local devices on the main lan.
This is rather risky because it takes very careful configuration. You do something like get both dhcp server active and you get a big mess.
I know it's th quickest and easiest option but unfortunately I can't rewire.

Option 3 sounds like the best option I will try this and come back.

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020

Option 1

Option2.

Option 3

Is this what you mean setting wise

Router 2
IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.255
DHCP: Off

Red Device 1
Static IP: 192.168.1.110
Defalt Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Red Device 2
Static IP: 192.168.1.111
Defalt Gateway: 192.168.1.1

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Yes but with the correct subnet mask
Thank you but

Router 2

Crapped out the router and I had to factory reset this was after I changed the subnet.

I tried this
Router 2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Red Device 1 (connected by ethernet)
Static IP: 192.168.1.110
Subnet: 32
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Red device came up connected but no Internet? But if I connect to router 2 via WiFi Internet works fine??

Not sure what to do

STUKguy

Commendable
May 31, 2020
I have never seen subnet 32 done that way. If it takes a number you want 24. The subnets must match on the same lan.....well that is another hack thing if they don't
OK so the Wife pointed out that I hadn't plugged a cable from the switch to lan port of router 2. I plugged a cable in, and would you believe it using subnet 24 and a static IP 1 red box device is channeling its Internet through to VPN router. I'm going to go hang my head in shame 😔

Thank you for help though