Question Help setting up new Router with an existing Router/Modem

ADK1580

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have recently got a new router from NetGear the RX500.
All that is left to do it to connect it and configure it.
after a few attempts yesterday I couldn't manage to have a working connection.

I have spoken with my ISP who provides the modem/router I currently have connected. They told me I have two options for setting it up.
One is something called bridge mode, which will disable the wifi capabilities of the modem/router effectively making it a modem only.
The second option is something about a mesh and having the two routers both connected at the same time.

I'm not really a networking kind of guy and I was hoping I would rid myself of the networking problems I had by buying this new router.
But I can't even manage to set it up properly.
So basically, I was hoping someone would help me understand which option should I choose and which is better.

Thank you in advance!

ADK1580

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
Hi thanks for the replies

I'm sad to report I didn't manage to get it working

I found the bridge mode activation in the router interface and proceeded with it.
The router reset it self twice and when it came back up the third time the wifi led was not on indicating the procedure was a success.
I noticed though that I no longer had access to the interface I guess its somehow connected to it being in bridge mode in any case I went on with the installation.

I connected the now only modem into the router with the provided ethernet cable I got with rx500.
Also the old cable that was going from my pc to the modem, to the new router.
And that's supposed to be it but I had no internet
I also had no access to the modem interface like I mentioned before

So then I reset everything back to its previous settings I mean the modem , And only when it's not in bridge mode and connected like I explained just now
Do I get access to the interface of the router/modem even though the pc is connected to the router but no internet

So now I'm stuck still with no internet
And fumbling around in the router/modem settings of course only looking and reading

Can anyone please help me understand why bridge mode didn't work?
And is there any other way to have it set up?

kanewolf

Titan
When in bridge mode, there isn't a user interface (usually). You connect the WAN port of your new router to a port (probably #1) on the ISP device. Then you would set your new router to DHCP the WAN (or possibly PPP0E) if you previously used that. You may have to call your ISP and ask them to reset you port since you are changing to bridge mode with your own private router. You may have to provide the ISP the MAC address of the new router. It depends on the ISP.

ADK1580

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
When in bridge mode, there isn't a user interface (usually). You connect the WAN port of your new router to a port (probably #1) on the ISP device. Then you would set your new router to DHCP the WAN (or possibly PPP0E) if you previously used that. You may have to call your ISP and ask them to reset you port since you are changing to bridge mode with your own private router. You may have to provide the ISP the MAC address of the new router. It depends on the ISP.

Yes it was previously on DHCP mode in the WAN connection type. As it is right now when not in
bridge mode

It is currently plugged into number 1 port on the modem/router like you said.

But how so I set the new router as dhcp as well if I basically have no connection now and in bridge mode.

1. Set ISP device to bridge mode, it becomes a dumb modem, there is nothing more to do with this box.
  2. Configure RX500. If u are unable to access it anymore, u may have to follow manual and reset it to factory. U must configure RX500 (1)WIFI, protocol used, passoword/authentication key. (2)DHCP server, subnet, mask, gateway, dynamic range and statics, if any, reservation. DNS servers. (3)WAN port obtain address. You should be able to enable your clients at this point, and able to ping RX500, enter its management page from ANY client, even without Internet.
  3. Finally hook up ISP device LAN (any) port to (WAN) RX500, and after a few moment, the RX500 WAN port light should start blinking.
That should be it. Be methodical, be logical. Understand WHY are you doing certain things, understand WHY the sequence suggested.

Last edited:
Easiest way is leave it default and turn wifi off. Second router should be a different subnet than the first one. nearly all routers start with 192.168.1.x/24 subnet. if you need to update your 2nd router change the third number and then make sure the router webpage is inside the new subnet.

ADK1580

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
Easiest way is leave it default and turn wifi off. Second router should be a different subnet than the first one. nearly all routers start with 192.168.1.x/24 subnet. if you need to update your 2nd router change the third number and then make sure the router webpage is inside the new subnet.

Thank you I will try that too and post back my results

1. Set ISP device to bridge mode, it becomes a dumb modem, there is nothing more to do with this box.
  2. Configure RX500. If u are unable to access it anymore, u may have to follow manual and reset it to factory. U must configure RX500 (1)WIFI, protocol used, passoword/authentication key. (2)DHCP server, subnet, mask, gateway, dynamic range and statics, if any, reservation. DNS servers. (3)WAN port obtain address. You should be able to enable your clients at this point, and able to ping RX500, enter its management page from ANY client, even without Internet.
  3. Finally hook up ISP device LAN (any) port to (WAN) RX500, and after a few moment, the RX500 WAN port light should start blinking.
That should be it. Be methodical, be logical. Understand WHY are you doing certain things, understand WHY the sequence suggested.

Thank you I will try again in bridge mode and will post my results

When the ISP device is in bridge mode it just passes the ISP along to the new primary router. You don't have to do anything to the ISP device. It functions just like a DSL or cable modem when in bridge mode.

Thank you
Yes i now understand that is the case
I will try again both in bridge mode and in regular mode with just turning off wifi manually
and will post back