[SOLVED] Help setting up pfSense with PPPoE DSL connection?

Morad Tamer

Reputable
Apr 21, 2016
Hi everyone
Over the past few hours I have been trying to get pfSense machine to work without any success
My system is as follows
My old D-Link (DSL-2740U) Router/ADSL2+ Modem Combo box put to bridge mode with the VPI/VCI of 0/35 and the encapsulation is set to LLC (as instructed by my ISP)
Then over at my pfSense WebGUI I make the WAN interface use PPPoE and then enter username and password provided by my ISP
That's how it's done in every tutorial I found (bridge mode the router then use pfSense to connect with PPPoE credentials) however for me it didn't work at all

Any idea is greatly appreciated
Also my networking experience isn't really that good so I might have missed something

Solution
Probably better try to create a PPPoE connection just using your windows PC connected to your router.
Small tutorial:
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-setup-and-use-pppoe-internet-connections-windows-10
This is pretty straightforward, if this works you know at least your router is configered properly in bridge and the info you got from your ISP is correct. You can then start looking for where you go wrong in Pfsense.

If you can't get the PPPoE connection going from your PC, you know there is some other issue with your router set-up and will have to adress that first!

berenod

Honorable
May 6, 2014
Probably better try to create a PPPoE connection just using your windows PC connected to your router.
Small tutorial:
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-setup-and-use-pppoe-internet-connections-windows-10
This is pretty straightforward, if this works you know at least your router is configered properly in bridge and the info you got from your ISP is correct. You can then start looking for where you go wrong in Pfsense.

If you can't get the PPPoE connection going from your PC, you know there is some other issue with your router set-up and will have to adress that first!

Reactions: Morad Tamer
Solution

Morad Tamer

Reputable
Apr 21, 2016
Small tutorial:

Thank you so much!
That's a really good idea
I am trying it and reporting back soon

Morad Tamer

Reputable
Apr 21, 2016
It actually works now
Using Windows' PPPoE connection mode was the trick
The first couple of times it tried to connect it gave me error 628 (didn't google it to be honest)
The third time it was able to make the connection, all it needed was just some extra time to establish it
Turns out I was just being a little bit impatient, though in my defense the connection time for pfSense was about 3-5 minutes while using the router it only took 2 minutes max
So here it is
Thank you so much again
Really really appreciate it