[SOLVED] Help shifting screen up on laptop display

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, I have a dell 5285 2 in 1 which is affected by the common problem of the bottom 1" of touchscreen not working. I discovered it i chance the resolution the touchscreen is not affected and less is cut off with a smaller resolution. The problem with the touchscreen is that the screen resolution is 1920x1280 but the firmware update for the touchscreen only sees 1920x1080 from the top.

I have already tried bios downgrades but I am stuck at a version because dell prevents rollbacks from intel security updates.

What I think will work is to set the resolution to 1920x1080 but when I do this the display automatically adjusts to the middle with a bar on the top and on the bottom. My question is, is there any way to shift what is being displayed up on the screen to go above the touchscreen deadspace?

Also, if there is not any way to do this, would it be possible in linux?

Lutfij

Titan
I have already tried bios downgrades
You might want to stop downgrading even if it's possible to do so, in order to prevent the laptop from ending up bricked. In fact you should be on the latest BIOS version to avoid suffering from external attacks/threats. Yes the BIOS updates also address security threats apart from performance and device related improvements. In your case, work your way up to the latest BIOS version, don't jump to the latest version.

If you're proficient with kernel/code, you can make your own drivers for Linux. Outside of that, no there's no other way.

Lutfij

Titan
I have already tried bios downgrades
You might want to stop downgrading even if it's possible to do so, in order to prevent the laptop from ending up bricked. In fact you should be on the latest BIOS version to avoid suffering from external attacks/threats. Yes the BIOS updates also address security threats apart from performance and device related improvements. In your case, work your way up to the latest BIOS version, don't jump to the latest version.

If you're proficient with kernel/code, you can make your own drivers for Linux. Outside of that, no there's no other way.

ASK THE COMMUNITY