509eagle

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Seems that I have been out of the build your own computer loop for way to long. My 6year old Asus finally started having fatal problems, leaking capacitors (no I dont want to try and replace them).

First off im not a PC gamer, (I have an Xbox 360 for that). I will use the PC for internet, powerpoint, and some multi media, editing videos and taking VHS to digital files.

So now all my choices, if I understand things right SLI gives you the option of running 2 video cards? Something I probably will never do.

I will have to buy a new video card, I currently have a ati9500, agp. so i could go whatever route with the MB.

I was looking at an Intel E6600 for a processor, seem that is where the big cost seperation is.

I will say one thing, this project just keep getting more expensive.

New MB
New memory
New processor
Now new video card
New Hard drives, Mine are IDE.

I could just take the easy way out and just buy something off the shelf, but i know it would not be of as a high quiality. ( But would get Vista, Plus all the other crap software they put on them)

The MB should be the first purchase, so assuming I go with an E660 processor, what are suggestions. I have Asus before, and have been impressed, so kind of leaning that way.

Video card suppestions are welcome too.

All suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks guys

You might want to check out a Compaq system that Best Buy has for $200 that includes vista basic, along with 512 megs of memory, a 120 gig hardrive, and celeron 3.46 cpu. The motherboard for the system has an Intel 945g chipset which normally supports core2 duo cpus, depending on the bios version. You can probably add an e6600 cpu and more memory. It has a separate pci-e slot. Vista basic normally sells for $85, so for $115 more, you get a case, hardrive, memory, cpu, and dvd rw.

509eagle

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Here is where im leanign right now

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

ASUS EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/512M GeForce 7600GS 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix Tracer 240-pin DIMM (with LEDs), DDR2 PC2-8500 memory module

Cost $776

Plan on using my case, dvd drive, one ide hard drive, and one SATA drive

Probably dont need soemthing this fast, but who knows what the future holds

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
What is your budget? I do essentially the same thing you are and am using AMD X2 3800 and 4200. In fact I put together an inexpensive computer, AM2 3800, 1GB of RAM, and an ASUS with 6150 onboard video strictly for capturing, editing, and burning. Capturing, burning, and rendering take a long time no matter what processor/mobo/RAM you have and it's best not to be doing anything else when doing these things. Dealing with analogue is especially a pain in the a$$ since you have to manually stop the capture. You might want to think about putting together 2 less expensive machines, could do it for about $1000. If you want to do one better machine, AMD would be worth considering if you're on a tight budget.