Help! Some thermal paste inside CPU Socket!

Mohamed_Hussein

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
I know this was posted before, and I read many threads, but I couldn't resolve my problem.

I did a stupid move and closed the socket door (without the cpu) and it had some excess paste that got inside the socket.

Here's how it looks like: Link

Those two tiny little white dots.

The past is CoolerMaster V1 IC Value white paste.

I tried to remove it with a cloth but the pins kept getting stuck in it and I couldn't reach it anyway. Should I worry?

Edit: Image wasn't showing up.

Solution
i'm not familiar with Akai video cleaner, so i can't confirm - does it state on the container somewhere what the contents are?

otherwise, 70% rubbing alcohol if that's available

the reason i suggested china bristle brush is that the bristles are extremely fine for getting into tight spots, whereas nylon are fairly large in diameter - if you don't have china bristle brushes (here they can be had in cheap 1" width that are maybe 50 cents, then a very soft toothbrush will serve
you can clean it out using a china bristle brush (china bristle preferred over nylon) with 91% rubbing alcohol

i'd pull the motherboard and having it set so it's perpendicular to the table, brush the heck out of the socket area - then blow dry with some compressed air, and let it dry for a few hours before re-installing the cpu

2nd alternative, some spray can contact cleaner, https://www.amazon.com/Electro-Contact-Cleaner-11Oz-Aerosol/dp/B01L2Q86TM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531884483&sr=8-3&keywords=lps+contact+cleaner&dpID=319yurzRP9L&preST=_QL70_&dpSrc=srch. I'd use that specific cleaner, not any kind of foaming agent, etc

fwiw

Mohamed_Hussein

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

Thank you for the detailed response! Can I use a very soft toothbrush and AKAI video cleaner instead? Unfortunately I can't get 91% alcohol where I live, maximum is like 70%

i'm not familiar with Akai video cleaner, so i can't confirm - does it state on the container somewhere what the contents are?

otherwise, 70% rubbing alcohol if that's available

the reason i suggested china bristle brush is that the bristles are extremely fine for getting into tight spots, whereas nylon are fairly large in diameter - if you don't have china bristle brushes (here they can be had in cheap 1" width that are maybe 50 cents, then a very soft toothbrush will serve

Solution

urbancamper

Distinguished
Any brush is not a good idea. Remove the mb. Spray the 70% on it turn it over and let it drip off and dry off on it's own. Repeat until all thermal paste is gone.

All a brush is going to do is spread it around and most likely damage the socket. Even china bristle.

Pal, don't use the motherboard at all. You risk damaging your PC. The paste can be conductive or non-conductive. Usually the cheap stuff is not conductive since they are not made with metal, however the current could heat the paste directly, create shortcut or even fried your components.

Alcohol is also flammable, you are just creating a fire hazard.

I am an electrical engineer, I never point it out, but just don't use it. Get another one.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Who apparently didn't pay attention in chemistry class. The alcohol will evaporate, and it takes a lot more than being on an electrical circuit to light it up. There is a reason alcohol is commonly used to clean electrical components.

I mean.... I don't know how in the world you can post that and then one sentence later claim to be an EE.

Mohamed_Hussein

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
Thank you guys for all the help. I get the point now, but unfortunately the board is not working for other reasons - magic smoke :-( However the advice in this thread is very much appreciated for later time.