Help! Something died in my rig

electrovisor

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
After returning to my computer yesterday, the Ethernet was not working, so I tried to enable it, which didn't work. I then restarted... Only it didn't turn back on.

The mobo doesn't even go into post when I've tested it. My PSU works when connected to fans (testing it with paper clip). However, when plugged into mobo, doesn't turn on. So my theory is PSU can't be the problem because I was using it 10 mins before it died and hadn't installed anything in that 10 mins that would cause not enough power in system.

So, is the mobo or CPU dead? Or could it still be PSU?

P.S. I installed a new CPU aftermarket fan a month or two ago. Could this have done something? (too much paste or too tightly screwed?). Also, on the day it died, it was pretty hot/humid.

Solution
Be surprised if it is the CPU, the mobo or a stick of ram would generally go before a CPU. Try taking ram out and using one stick in the appropriate single channel slot. If your fans spin, probably not PSU (though can't rule totally out.) I would be surprised if the new HSF is the culprit, since it worked for yah for a few months. The key indicator for me would be the Ethernet port going, that could have been a tip of the ol' iceberg for the mobo going south. Reset CMOS and try Ram test, then maybe post results back.

HoodlyNico

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
Be surprised if it is the CPU, the mobo or a stick of ram would generally go before a CPU. Try taking ram out and using one stick in the appropriate single channel slot. If your fans spin, probably not PSU (though can't rule totally out.) I would be surprised if the new HSF is the culprit, since it worked for yah for a few months. The key indicator for me would be the Ethernet port going, that could have been a tip of the ol' iceberg for the mobo going south. Reset CMOS and try Ram test, then maybe post results back.

Solution

electrovisor

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Yea! Replaced the CMOS battery and pulled out RAM and put back in after blowing like it's a game console slot :)P) and it turns on... I'll now do an out of the case build with everything now to make sure its all g.. Then, hopefully ethernet works when I connect to SSD and OS :).. Thanks!