HELP: sometimes premiere takes a long time to stat playbac..

sailor

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Hi:

Sometimes when i try to playback from the timeline in Premiere, either
using the spacebar or clicking the play button in the monitor window, it
takes several seconds before it actually starts to play. As I said, it is
only sometimes... other times play begins immediately. I am using 6.5 (but
it may have occured with previous versions).

I am using miro dc30+ card and I am very consistent with frame rates, My
drives are fast and optimized for video and always defragged before a
project.

I can be working on a project one day and it will work fine... the next day
open up the same project and there is the delay... and it seems to continue
throughout the project...VERY annoying..

I've tried rebooting, also making sure there is nothing else running in the
background that may interfere, etc. Nothing seems to help... until I move
on to another project and hope that it doesn't happen :)

If anyone has had this problem or knows of any possible cause I would
appreciate it..
Thanks!
Sailor

Sailor <lost@sea.world> wrote in

> Hi:
>
> Sometimes when i try to playback from the timeline in Premiere, either
> using the spacebar or clicking the play button in the monitor window,
> it takes several seconds before it actually starts to play. As I said,
> it is only sometimes... other times play begins immediately. I am
> using 6.5 (but it may have occured with previous versions).
>
> I am using miro dc30+ card and I am very consistent with frame rates,
> My drives are fast and optimized for video and always defragged before
> a project.
>
> I can be working on a project one day and it will work fine... the
> next day open up the same project and there is the delay... and it
> seems to continue throughout the project...VERY annoying..
>
> I've tried rebooting, also making sure there is nothing else running
> in the background that may interfere, etc. Nothing seems to help...
> until I move on to another project and hope that it doesn't happen :)
>
> If anyone has had this problem or knows of any possible cause I would
> appreciate it..
> Thanks!
> Sailor

I think I may be answering my own question...
I decided to delete all of my preview files, load the project again, when
it asks for previews click Skip previews... Rendered work area. It plays
fine now...
As I recall, last night when I was working on this project I was trying a
bunch of different transitions (some 3rd party, some premiere's) for one
particular edit and I'm thinking that either the 3rd party transitions
screwed something up or that trying so many different things and rendering
them caused the previewing to hang up like that...
anyway, if anyone has another idea let me know... otherwise maybe I'm all
set.. I'll stick with Cross dissolve :)

thanks..sailor