Question [Help] Steam on Linux

kidlatwarfreak

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Good day,

I'm planning to use Ubuntu on my new computer. I'm just wondering, do Steam backups from Windows 10 work on Ubuntu? I have a limited monthly data plan, so redownloading my whole Steam library on Ubuntu will be quite a hassle. I have games like DOTA2, CSGO, GTAV, and Borderlands 2.

Thanks.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Your save files, yes, almost certainly as those are typically independent of the OS used..
The actual game files etc, probably not. When downloaded for Windows, there's really no reason to acquire the Linux code etc along with it.

You might be able to only have to acquire certain files to allow this to just 'work', but I'm not sure how you would go about it.

ficler1977

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
if we talk about games that were official released for Linux, I can confirm. Steam on Linux(in this case Ubuntu) will download games again. I would suggest to set up new folder for STEAM GAMES library alongside windows folder otherwise windows files will be replaced with linux and I bed you want to keep windows games.

if we talk about games that will use Steams compatible mode for linux with games only released windows than you can use windows folder hovever this windows files will be updated (10% of all files) with new linux files. if you would go back to windows system and use it files also will be updated by steam.

Long story short. I would set up new folder for steam for linux.