Help stopping torrenting

wesley_303

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Hello,
I have a problematic housemate who will not stop downloading p2p even though we have asked him. It means that the internet is basically unusable and seeing as I am living abroad I need it to communicate with friends and family back home.
The router we have is an Orange Livebox. I have tried blocking ports but it has no effect. I understand it is a bit much to look for a solution like this but talking has not worked.
Is there anything I can do to throttle/limit/stop the downloading?

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Within most torrent clients, there is the option to limit the upload and download bandwidth. Unplug his wire until he turns it down.

Literally, unplug it. If wireless, block his MAC address until he learns.

Fix the user. Software can be worked around.

iiTzzDeFuze

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Block the websites he goes to.
add his MAC address to the list of banned devices
Alternately, you could block all ports higher than 1023. This won't kick him off the network, but BT usually uses a higher port.

wesley_303

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Thanks for the quick replies, he does pay towards it yeah but at this rate he should pay the whole thing seeing as none of the rest of us can use it. I have talked to him about it on numerous occasions and he just claims it is not him (I have looked on the Router Page and it shows just me and him connected and it is fine when he is not there).
I have no access to his pc unfortunately.

I know that if I were being asked to pay for shared internet access and either of those solutions were implemented I would be seriously cheesed off, why pay for something you can't use?

The only real solution here may be to have separate phone lines and ISP's.

USAFRet

Titan

I'm not advocating he can't use it at all, just turn down the usage within his client. Torrent? Yes. Soaking up ALL the bandwidth? No.

Just like if one housemember were using ALL the hot water, every day. Taking hour long showers. Get him to take shorter showers.

Presumably they are all adults. Possibly the roommate doesn't realize the impact, and that there are ways to torrent and not suck up ALL the household bandwidth.

And the OP is cheesed off, paying for something he can't effectively use.

Such is the fun of house sharing, unless he breaking a written contract then you are stuck with him being selfish. If you start removing or limiting his access that he has and does pay for then he is within in rights to prosecute because you are asking him to pay for something he is not being allowed to use. Like I said before, separate phone lines is the only other way or just put up with it or move out to your own place.

iiTzzDeFuze

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013

I understand that, but wesley is paying too. Well wesley is seriously cheesed off to what's happening right now cause he is paying for something that he can use properly because some guy is hogging it all.

wesley_303

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

That looks interesting but would I be able to write these rules within the Router admin pages? Not at home at the moment I can´t check.

I have tried blocking all ports other than 80 and it didn´t work (does this potentially mean it´s not p2p? I can´t think of anything else that would take up all the bandwith). Seperate lines/ISPs isn´t possible.
He definitely knows the effect it is having as I have told him. He doesn´t care. Cheers for the support

Like I said before, that is the fun of sharing a house and if you don't like it then get your own place. I've been there in the past and whilst we didn't have an internet back then there was still the shared electric bill and hot water issue and yes there was a selfish couple who were the only ones to use a fan heater that cost a lot to run but they refused to pay any extra for it and she was always the one who used all the hot water in the mornings.

USAFRet

Titan

How many of you are there sharing that place? Vote him off the island!

wesley_303

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

5 in total, which is one of the reasons it is so ridiculous. I wish I could haha. So I am guessing the actual technical options are limited.

USAFRet

Titan

There are some people you just can't live with. They may be great friends, but sometimes they gotta go.

As far as technical, you don't want to cut off torrents completely...just for him to turn it down a little.

Sit down and have a house meeting. "Dude...you have to turn that down some." Just as if he were playing his stereo at full volume death metal all the time. His stereo, and he's paying his share of the electricity bill...however...
One person can't hog all of a particular resource.

If he refuses, vote him out.

Bruce Geng

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
First, I recommend you to check your router's QOS feature. Most routers have Qos feature to limit bandwidth.

Otherwise, I would recommend "WFilter Free" freeware for internet filtering, it can block torrent downloading on network completely.

wesley_303

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Looks like it only has to be installed on one PC on the network. Looks interesting and potentially helpfull, will check it out properly when i get home from work, thanks again!