HELP - Stuck in BIOS after Windows 10 corruption

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hey all,

I've got myself a bit of a problem. First, a little backstory. Several months ago, after having used Windows 10 successfully for quite a while, I experience an issue after a Windows 10 update which prevented me from booting into the OS. Instead, it took my to the Windows 10 repair menu, with the troubleshooting options. Long story short, I tried all of the options in an attempt to restore my system (including some command prompt stuff I found online), but none of them worked. I had to backup all of my data from within command prompt, and then boot from my Windows 7 disc and do a clean install.

Comp specs:
CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
Mobo: ASRock z68 Extreme3 gen3
-8 GB ram
-Intel 730 SSD 250gb (I think, I know it's Intel) - this is what my OS is installed on
-1tb regular hard drive (for storage)
-750watt corsair psu

Like an idiot, I decided to give Windows 10 another shot after keeping my distance for a while. I've upgraded for the second time a few months ago, and all has been well, until...

I ran into the exact same issue. None of the options in the Windows 10 troubleshooting screen worked. I tried the command "dskchk r/" for both of my hard drives (which took hours to complete), but stupidly didn't record the results (I'm not exactly computer savvy). I also followed some advice I found online - namely just imputing these commands:

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot

After imputing the bootrec and dskchk commands I restarted my computer, but it didn't take me to the Windows 10 troubleshooting page - instead, it popped me straight into BIOS.

I haven't been able to get out of BIOS since. Both of my hard drives show up when I try to set the boost order, but regardless of which disc I choose to boot from, it takes me right back to BIOS. I have also tried to boot from my Windows 7 install disc, which is what I had to do last time. Even though it's recognized in BIOS, I can't get my computer to boot from the disc. It takes me right back to BIOS.

Anyways, I have no idea what to do. I thought this was a bug related to Windows 10, but now I simply have no clue.

What do I do?

Solution
I don't suppose the troubleshooting screen has a Use device option, that would be too easy. If it does, choose it and select USB from list and it should boot from it.

Are you getting a cursor in top left of screen before it goes back to bios? can try tapping enter here to get it to boot off USB

can try disconnecting all drives from PC and start it up. then turn it off and reattach a drive and see if it boots off it this time

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

if you need to copy info off PC, try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

just need to make sure USB is in the USB 2 slots and make it top of boot order

I would suggest fresh installing win 10 rather than upgrading, as upgrades tend to go bad more than fresh installs. Your motherboard only has 2 win 10 drivers but there are plenty win 8 drivers that should work fine. You can fix the problem you having but a fresh install might remove it completely as win 10 uses a different disc format to win 7, and doesn't have as many boot problems. If you have info on other partitions of C drive, you will need to copy it off as the win 10 install will want to delete all the partitions on C before it even goes on PC - this depends on if boot method set to Legacy or UEFI or auto (I don't know your bios)

before you fresh install, unplug the storage drive from power or win 10 might try to put boot partition on other drive, which doesn't help if you later remove that drive and can no longer boot.

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I tried to boot to Linux using a USB, but it only resulted in a black screen.

I made a Windows 10 installer on a USB as you suggested, but every time I have tried to boot from it, it takes me right back to the Windows 10 troubleshooting screen.

Any other suggestions?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't suppose the troubleshooting screen has a Use device option, that would be too easy. If it does, choose it and select USB from list and it should boot from it.

Are you getting a cursor in top left of screen before it goes back to bios? can try tapping enter here to get it to boot off USB

can try disconnecting all drives from PC and start it up. then turn it off and reattach a drive and see if it boots off it this time

Solution

Pramethius

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

Pramethius

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
Sounds like you may have some corruption in BIOS an may need to go to your PC manufacturer's website, get you BIOS Update an or BIOS files, load to flash drive, boot an update BIOS as to fix any corruption, usually when you are pushed or propped back to BIOS ITS TO MAKE CHOICES