[HELP!]Stuck on widescreen resolutions on a normal monitor..

razorasadsid

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hello, i recently reinstalled win 7, and I have a 7600GT, Pentium D 950 @ 3.5GHZ, 4GIGs of RAM, and a normal HDD, (my motherboard is just a generic Acer mobo that I found in a garage sale). Im having this problem where windows is detecting my monitor as widescreen, and is only showing widescreen resolutions like 1024 x 728. My monitors max res is 1280 x 1024. Which is what im used to. Currently, everything looks like crap. Ive tried new and old drivers for the GPU, and windows update is on. Can someone help fix this?I even tried to force the res, it just wont force it though, it cuts off every part of it expect the top left corner. Help?

If you right click on your desktop and change resolution. Then go to advanced settings, and open up the monitor tab. Uncheck the Hide modes that this monitor cannot display. Now you should be able to select the correct resolution. Also changing the monitor from the detected monitor to a generic (1280x1024) monitor may allow you to change the resolution. Is there a monitor driver for your monitor?

razorasadsid

Honorable
May 29, 2012
By forced I meant I tried using the custom settings on the Nvdia control panel, and I would uncheck the force box except its greyed out and stuff. Im trying to achive 1280x1024, but there is no way to change it. It just says Generic non-pnp moniter. I have a CRT (yes, I know) but it supports 1280x1024 and im sure of that because ive been using it at that for ages.

razorasadsid

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I Fixed it!
Solution to anyone else having the problem:
Go to the Nvidia control panel, and make a custom resolution (set it to what resolution you want). Then, go into Timing, and select and try every option until Active Pixels become the same as your resolution. Once they do, save it at that setting, and viola!! :D Thanks for all your help guys!