Question [HELP] Stuttering in almost every game with high end rig!

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
I’m out of ideas on how to fix the small stutters / frame skips that follow me in nearly every game. I built my PC about 6 months ago and I had a DOA gpu that I rma’d and got back no problem. (I say this because I doubt it’s a gpu related issue) The stuttering started about 2 months ago but it’s gotten worse. I’ve searched so many forums and found no good answer to my problem. The games I’ve noticed it bad is BF5, R6S, Apex, and Fortnite. Strange thing is there is no fps drop. It’s consistent and good for my hardware.
Here’s what I’ve tried:
ALL drivers are up to date
Windows up to date
I’ve messed with in game settings: nothing
I’ve monitored temps and usage (72° and 95% usage on GPU high // 65° and anywhere from 65% - 85% on cpu) again, no fps drops.
Disable / enable g-sync: nothing
ran benchmarks / stress tests on IXTU, UniHeaven and userbenchmarks, all came back positive and good
validated game files: nothing

I’m at a dead end here. Sometimes I can get through a whole game without any stutters and sometimes it stutter every few seconds.. My next step is maybe reseating the cpu or reinstalling windows.
Specs:
CPU: i7-8700k (Corsair H100i v2 cooler)
Mobo: Asus strix z370-e
RAM: G.skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200mhz 16gb (I turned on xmp last week no help)
GPU: Asus strix 1080 Ti
PSU: Evga 850 GQ Gold 850w
Storage: 500gb Samsung 970 evo (OS)
Seagate Fircuda 2tb (installed last month)

EDIT
I found that the GPU usage drops from about 98% to about 68%??? runs at 73 degrees so not thermal throttle?

Last edited:

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
Yes, I do mean Use the 3d application setting. I had the same problem as you and one of those fixed it for me.
So I tried all this and it didn't work. I just monitored temps in bfv and I noticed every time that the stutter occurs my Gpu usage drops down from about 98% all the way down to about 68%??? Its just when the stutter happens. Clearly this is the issue, but it's running at 73 degrees so not a thermal throttle?