Help! Swap Processors, does not boot

Hahaha

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Hi everyone,

I have a problem here. I'm trying to replace my P4 3GHz HT processor (which I suspect has some problem, but still boot), but everytime I replace it with a 1.5GHz processor, it doesn't boot. The computer starts up like normal in which the fan is running, the cd rom spins, but the monitor's power light just beep on and off, and no keyboard light...

I'm quite sure that the used 1.5GHz is fine, though I never see it run cause I purchased it from Ebay seller. 2 processors from 2 different seller. I've checked that both are 478, same as mine

Is there anything I should alter in BIOS or anywhere when I need to change processor?

Thanks

MB: 865GBF
CPU: 3GHz HT processor, not overclocked, but ever overheated accidentally
VGA: Elsa 980 FX
HDD: 80G SATA

Hahaha

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I think the processor is like 2 years or so. It overheated like twice back in summer, and it shutted down itself. It leds me to purchased another fan, and now, the processors to replace since it crashes.

I'm not sure its memory problem, since I can still use my previous processor, but not the other 2. While, if it is memory problem, all the processor won't run, right?

Thanks for the answer...

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Be shure that the cpu is compatible w/ your mobo, and make sure its inserted correctly. Check 2 make shure that the pins on the processor arent bent or anything like that
-Good Luck- :wink:

Hahaha

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Hi there,

just a bit more information:

MOTHERBOARD
Product name Intel(R) Desktop Board D865GBF based system
Board model Genuine Intel(R) D865GBF system board

PROCESSOR
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Bus speed 800 MHz
L1 cache Data Cache 16KB, Execution Trace Cache 12K Micro-ops
L2 cache Advanced Transfer Cache 1024 KB
Form factor Socket 478
Stepping 3

About your questions, I think the Bus Speed is 800 MHz, while the 1.5G one has 400 MHz advertised... How do I set it? I tried resetting BIOS jumper, same result. I cant change anything either in BIOS, such as speed, cause it is greyed out.

Thanks for the reply

chmuchmu

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
1. clear the CMOS
2. check your DDR-RAM(suggest to keep just one )
3. Some "new" mainboard(865 series and 848 series) is not compatible with old processor (Willamette), check it in your user guide.
4. Use your p4 3.0c to enter the bios, and change the FSB from 800 to 400(if the bios show 200Mhz, you should change it into 100Mhz) as well as the core voltage to 1.7V(if the 1.5Ghz is the Willamette), save the bios ,quit, and swap the cpus.

baboy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
would be easist to just clear the cmos. and no bother with swiching cpu's back and forth. Also if you hold down delet and Insert prior to power on your computer it should se your fsb o the lowest seting. repeat this several times. if that does not work then i would try to clear he cmos.

"I've checked that both are 478, same as mine

Is there anything I should alter in BIOS or anywhere when I need to change processor"

Some of the DDR boards will only support 533/800 Mhz fsb units, at the expense of possibly the older Celerons with 400 Mhz bus speeds...

You might want to look up exact processor support for that particular mainboard revision/BIOS...

Hahaha

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Hi there,

Thanks alot for the information. I've checked somewhere else that says we can't change the speeds from BIOS on Intel board. Maybe that's why most things are greyed out in first page in BIOS, even on maintenance jumper setting...