Help swapping to larger ssd

Jase78

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
Can somebody help a noob out. Basically I have a 120gb ssd and am wanting to upgrade to 240gb ssd. I do have a d:/ drive and have installed most games ect on it however there's a lot of stuff on the c:/ as well . I have tried using. Aomei back upper but keep getting errors after restoring and Windows just won't boot afterwards. Is there an easier way or is there something I'm missing?

Is cloning from ssd to ssd acceptable ? If so what free or cheap program can I use. I've always heard cloning is risky. I still have both drives and can swap back to the old drive if need be

Solution
There's no reason why you should not clone the contents of your 120 GB drive to your 240 GB drive provided the following requirements are met...

1. The current 120 GB SSD boots to the OS and thereafter functions without any problems.
2. The proposed destination disk - your 240 GB drive - is non-defective.
3. You would be satisfied with your destination disk being essentially a bit-for-bit copy of your source drive.

Assuming those requirements are met, let me recommend a disk-cloning program you can utilize and the instructions for using it.

1. Download/install the Casper Trial Edition 10 (v10.0.5973) disk-cloning program from https://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/trial/

2. Before undertaking the disk-cloning operation close all...

Cole_9

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
I'm not a fan of cloning myself. I have had too many issues with it. I would just create a system image using a backup drive and a 4 GB DVD, boot from the DVD, erase all drives using the DISKPART command in the command prompt (type DISKPART, then type list disk, select drive c:, type clean, and then do the same thing for drive d:. Make sure you DO NOT delete the external backup drive, happened to me once, or else it will not work). Turn off the computer, disconnect the old C: and connect the new ssd, turn on the computer and boot to the dvd drive again. select system image restore (I'm using windows 10) and then click the latest backup on the drive, by which creating the system image in windows will do that for you.

There's no reason why you should not clone the contents of your 120 GB drive to your 240 GB drive provided the following requirements are met...

1. The current 120 GB SSD boots to the OS and thereafter functions without any problems.
2. The proposed destination disk - your 240 GB drive - is non-defective.
3. You would be satisfied with your destination disk being essentially a bit-for-bit copy of your source drive.

Assuming those requirements are met, let me recommend a disk-cloning program you can utilize and the instructions for using it.

1. Download/install the Casper Trial Edition 10 (v10.0.5973) disk-cloning program from https://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/trial/

2. Before undertaking the disk-cloning operation close all open programs. (Generally you need not disable your anti-virus program). Ensure your destination drive - the proposed recipient of the clone - is properly connected in the system.

3. Double-click on the Casper 10 icon to open the program.

4. Click "Copy Drive".

5. On the next window click "Perform a different copy".

6. The next window will list the drives connected in your system. The source (C:\) drive (the drive you will be cloning) will be highlighted. Click Next.

7. The next window will list your proposed destination disk - the recipient of the clone. If you have more than one potential destination disk currently connected in your system they will be listed as well. Ensure the disk you want to serve as the destination disk is highlighted. Click Next.

8. If the destination disk contains data the next window will indicate a warning that this data will be lost as a result of the disk-cloning operation. Click Next.

9. A window may open giving you an option to assign a name to the destination disk for future Casper disk-cloning operations involving that disk. If no name is desired uncheck the box. Click Next.

10. The next window reflects how the cloned data will be distributed on the destination disk. The default proportionate distribution option will usually suffice in most cases, however you will have an option to manipulate the disk-space of the cloned data should you desire to do so. Click Next.

11. A message will appear indicating that this Casper Trial Edition does not support "volume resizing" - basically user manipulation of partitions on the destination disk. This feature is available on the Casper commercial version. Click Continue.
(See NOTE: below for more detailed info re partition resizing with the Casper Trial Ed.)

12. On the final user screen click "Perform the copy now".

13. Exit from the program after receiving message that the disk-cloning operation was successful.

14. If the recipient of the clone is an internally-connected drive or a USB-connected drive that will be installed as an internal drive, it's a good idea (when practicable) to disconnect (or uninstall) the source drive following the disk-cloning operation and initially boot to the newly-cloned drive with no other drives connected at that time. Also, to check the system's BIOS/UEFI to ensure the cloned drive is now first in boot priority order.

NOTE: The Casper Trial Edition has a partition-resizing restriction. In your case the program will create the same-size partition of your source disk (presumably about 111 GB) on your 240 GB destination disk. The remaining disk-space on the destination drive will be unallocated. You can use Disk Management to simply extend the created partition on the destination drive so as to utilize the entire disk-space of the 240 GB drive to contain the contents of your 120 GB source drive. Capiche?

Let us know how things work out, OK?

Solution

Jase78

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
Well I tried using aomei back upper which has worked in the past but it didn't want to work this time. Possibly cause it's a different size drive? Idk. Wouldn't evem boot windows .

I reinstalled windows on the new drive and went through the painstaking process of reinstalling drivers and games software ect. In the end it's probably better to have a fresh install over a clone of the original. Just takes a bit of time