Question Help! System Lag When Under Load ?

Oct 19, 2022
I'm looking for help on an odd issue on a new system I recently built. The cursor lags when the system is under load. It's as if the FPS drops to 30. It's a noticeable difference on this 144 Hz monitor. Scrolling in a browser and dragging windows around is also slow when this happens. This happens when benchmarking with Cinebench, when games are loading. and even when just the FanControl GUI is open... There is no lag after the loading is done and while playing games, even graphically intensive ones.

Could this be a memory issue? CPU? I'm at a bit of a loss at how to continue troubleshooting this...

Here are the build specs: Corsair RM850x, MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR5 Wifi, Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR5 5600 16 CAS RAM (XMP enabled in BIOS), Intel i7-12700k, Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB MSI Gaming Z Trio, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD. OS is Windows 11 with all updates.

Things I have done to try troubleshooting:
  • Install all Windows updates
  • Update all Nvidia drivers
  • Update all drivers including chipset drivers
  • Update BIOS version
  • Ensuring XMP is enabled in BIOS and memory clock speed is reported at ~2800 MHz for each RAM stick
  • Ensure iGPU is disabled by confirming "Initiate Graphic Adapter" setting in BIOS is set to "PEG"
  • Monitoring CPU and GPU temperatures (see link with screenshot of HWiNFO)
    • Idle
      • CPU stable at ~37°C
      • GPU stable at ~44°C
    • Gaming
      • CPU stable at ~50°C
      • GPU stable at ~50°C
    • Cinebench Benchmarking
      • CPU stable at ~80°C
Could this be related to power? I've read that too much power draw on a poor socket connection could cause a lagging mouse... Which would explain why it happens under load. Perhaps the CPU is trying to draw more power than is available. Thoughts? I'm at a bit of a loss... I'm totally taken aback by the fact that this system lags when loading a game... I've had builds with much lower specs, plugged into the same outlet, handle similar amounts of load with ease. Any advice is much appreciated.

Note: the mouse is wired and plugged into a USB 3.1 port on the motherboard.

Note: I don't think this would affect anything but the GPU is undervolted. I posted a link below with screenshots of the voltage curve and HWiNFO.

HWiNFO and undervolt curve

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022
I just noticed a high system interrupts CPU usage in the resource monitor. Could this be due to a malfunctioning USB port?

dxGEwi1.png

sXReAhQ.png

Oct 19, 2022
I think this is related to DPS issues with Nvidia's nvlddmkm.sys driver... I'm seeing this as a widely reported issue over the years.

X81lYMC.png

I ran it again after a fresh reboot and everything was stable for ~5 minutes then ntoskrnl.exe started showing the highest DPC execution time.

RHlZi9B.png

Oct 19, 2022
I think this is related to DPS issues with Nvidia's nvlddmkm.sys driver... I'm seeing this as a widely reported issue over the years.

Based on these 2 videos, I've tried disabling HEPT, updating the ethernet driver, disabling and re-enabling the page file, and updating the processor idle demote and promote thresholds to 100%.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8pmiwLfMlg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0BN608Sd3Q

It looks like it's helped some but not entirely.

Before:
8P6yz8v.png

After:
XFJC1a1.png

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022
I discovered that the audio connector wasn't proper seated to the motherboard pins but that didn't resolve the latency issue or lag under load issue unfortunately.

This post now concerns 2 issues, to which their relation are likely unrelated but unknown.

Perhaps there just isn't enough RAM, but that would surprise me as a 2019 Macbook Pro with 32GB RAM running Windows 10 in Bootcamp doesn't stutter when loading the same program.

vNpjDgF.png