Help!
System:
Win 10 Pro 64 bit
CPU - I7-6700k @ 4.00GHz
RAM – 32GB mixed @ 3142 MHz
MOTHERBOARD - Asus Z170-A
GPU – Zotac Gtx 1080 AMP 8GB
Storage – Windows on 500GB Cricual SSD and games on WD SATA 3 HDD

So I feel like my GPU is super underperforming. I initially had a R9 290x which was amazing, upgraded that to a Gtx 1060 6GB and the performance of that was slightly underwhelming, then upgraded that to a Gtx 1080 (current) and there is only a slight performance boost over the 1060??

What Im really concerned about is playing Battlefield 1 on ultra settings 1080p Im getting around 90 FPS with good temps?? GPU is just maxing out at 99-100%. I looked at YouTube videos with people testing the exact same hardware as mine and they were getting 150 FPS 1080p and 110 FPS 1440p??

Whats going on??

Even tried boosting power limit, core and memory clock on MSI Afterburner and literally hardly any difference? Card still straight maxing out.

Each time I got a new GPU I used DDU to fully clean everything up. No other problems with my PC at all just so underwhelmed when spending over £400 on a used Gtx 1080. It's not the case like some posts getting a dramatically different FPS like 45 but I should be hitting 150 and not 90-110!

Also please check out this screenshot, may give you an insight - just a BF1 pic with the Afterburner stats so you can see the current state of the components:

View: https://imgur.com/a/WmgK6Eg

Last edited:
Solution
Hi all! Been working on it 24 /7 and did so many things but nothing worked initially. Also the RAM is 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance and Trident Z RGB :)

FINALLLY, hope this helps other people, I found a solution.

So when I did DDU before I didn't do it in safe mode I just ran it normally. So I think it was a combo of running DDU in safe mode like you were meant to and also I checked for BIOS updates (there weren’t any) so I reset the CMOS / BIOS and I think that cleared up something to do with RAM XMP profiles not too sure?? ALSO third and final thing I did, was install geforce experience straight away and got the driver through that (also importantly not installing physix x or HD audio etc) only the driver!

Anyway the result of...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What Im really concerned about is playing Battlefield 1 on ultra settings 1080p Im getting around 90 FPS with good temps?? GPU is just maxing out at 99-100%. I looked at YouTube videos with people testing the exact same hardware as mine and they were getting 150 FPS 1080p and 110 FPS 1440p??

With the EXACT same hardware, and all the EXACT same video settings? In the EXACT same parts of the game?

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure on that? I mean, right off the bat, the 32GB "mixed" you mention is of concern, and I doubt any YouTubers are using 32 GB of mixed memory.

What's the specs of your monitor? Max refresh? Do you have VSync on? etc.

Reactions: dotas1

Bantondubeke

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
Hi all! Been working on it 24 /7 and did so many things but nothing worked initially. Also the RAM is 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance and Trident Z RGB :)

FINALLLY, hope this helps other people, I found a solution.

So when I did DDU before I didn't do it in safe mode I just ran it normally. So I think it was a combo of running DDU in safe mode like you were meant to and also I checked for BIOS updates (there weren’t any) so I reset the CMOS / BIOS and I think that cleared up something to do with RAM XMP profiles not too sure?? ALSO third and final thing I did, was install geforce experience straight away and got the driver through that (also importantly not installing physix x or HD audio etc) only the driver!

Anyway the result of resetting the BIOS, doing DDU in safemode and the driver tricks is now 150+ FPS in BF1 (so literally +60 FPS somehow??) and also from 60 to 120 FPS in warzone!

Hope this helps someone in a similar situ, spent a few days non-stop feeling so disappointed. Also thanks for the responses too guys!

Solution

KawaTom

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
As it seams you fixed the issue. I am gona go offtopic. But is there any point of running ultra settings vs high? On those games i have tryed ultra vs high i couldent notice any diffrence

Bantondubeke

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
As it seams you fixed the issue. I am gona go offtopic. But is there any point of running ultra settings vs high? On those games i have tryed ultra vs high i couldent notice any diffrence

Hmmmm I guess its a good way of consistantly comparing PC's? Also if you have the hardware for it why not get the extra bit of graphics. I've noticed in some games like BF1 it makes hardly any difference at all to the visuals at 1080p, however I think on larger screens at higher res it has more of an effect. That being said on other games like Warzone I have noticed bigger effects like less grain / way better anti-aliasing effects.

Also finally I guess its just nice to have a flex here and there, getting over 60 FPS for the best viual experience the developers intended :).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
((+ also installed all the drivers for the motherboard even the irrelivent ones like USB and intel graphics, pretty sure i'd already done this so don't think it was that))

None of those drivers, including the hd audio, Lan, USB etc are irrelevant. Bad or out of date network drivers will literally kill fps outputs by bogging down the cpu prior to any fps sent to the gpu. Same with audio codecs, you want to hear the rat-tat-tat of the machine gun at the time of firing, not a few seconds later.

They all work hand in hand. Most of the pc runs on either the USB buss' or the pcie buss' in everything from Northbridge to Super i/o chipsets, ignore those to your fps peril.

Status
Not open for further replies.