Help! System will not POST!

Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
I've got power getting to the mobo as indicated by a blue LED on the board. When I hit the power switch all the fans/lights come on for a fraction of a second then shut down. All that remains on is the blue LED, plus another yellow LED near the blue one. There is nothing in the docs that explain that yellow LED. I get no indication from the digital post code display.

I've removed/reseated all power connections. Double checked that no mobo standoffs are in the wrong place and shorting something on the backside.

My hardware is listed below.

■CPU - QX9650
■Mobo - XFX MB-N780i-ISH9
■Graphics - BFG 8800GTS
■Memory - 2x1gb Crucial PC6400 4-4-4-12
■PSU - Xigmatek NRP-MC751

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
780i boards dont play nice with extreme quads. Thats most likely your issue. A bios update may or maynot be available. You will need a compatible CPU to flash for sure. Also double check the 4/8 pin cpu power connector.

Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
Well that's not good to hear considering the QX9650 is listed as tested on Nvidia's compatibility tables. Could be an XFX problem. I've got an E6700 in another machine I could try.

I think I'll try a couple of other things first, like one stick of ram, before I rip open a perfectly good machine to try to fix this one.

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
brett, I like the parts you have selected. When you get it running you will have a very nice system, congrads. Try an email to XFX support thru their website. Any other memory on hand to try? I don't remember all the oem's but I have heard of problems with crucial and some MBs. As rrunner said you might need to get the newest bios installed to get the system up and running. Is the 4 pin cpu power plug installed? Just sayin'.

Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
Checking the memory will be my next step. Your link points to the correct mobo. It actually has an 8-pin cpu pwr plug, and the PSU has a corresponding 8-pin cable which is plugged in.

I read a review at Legitreviews on this board and they actually tested it with the QX9650 so it should be compatible w/o a bios update. At least they didn't do one.

I found feedback at Newegg.com on this board where a guy has the exact same problem. He thinks there's something wrong w/ the board using the 8-pin psu plug. He tried a 4-pin psu plug and it worked. But the quad needs the power from the 8-pin.