HELP!! Temp probe on CPU die or on waterblock - What's best

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Well, depending on the type of probe you're using, it's probably a bad idea to have it right on the die as it may interfere with thermal transfer to your waterblock. Put it on the waterblock.

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
It is a thermistor type from Cooler Master. It is small.

When I say on the die I am NOT talking about on the surface that will interfere with heat transfer but on the side of the raised portion of the CPU.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
mpilchfamily is right on the money as is typical. And quick on the draw this morning as several posts I've went to answer/comment on hes beat me too hehe. I agree with him completely, if you must place that thermistor just get close as you can to cpu without interfering with heat transfer. Peace.

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Thanks guys, I was wondering if getting it on the lower part of the CPU would get me a beter reading than just on the block. If I were to put it on the lower part of the CPU itself that would be as close as I could get it HOWEVER fixing it to the CPU in the LGA775 socket is another story. SO waterblock it is.

My system is an ASUS P5WDG2-WS Pro board. I used air cooling but was dis-satisfied with my results - idle temp was 40C on a ZALMAN 9500. So I just switched to water cooling. Then I find out that
1.)the temps can be higher in an open case rather than a closed case
2.) The Vcore on this board is about .5 -.55 degree higher than stated and can be run much lower with the same results.

I am putting this in an Antec P180. I tested the water cooling system for leaks, did my wire management thing and today I fire it up.

The rest of the system looks like this

E6400 which will be overclocked to 3.2Ghz (I already got it there before with a temp of 65C)
650 Watt Antec TruePower TRIO
2 GIGs ram
Adaptec 2200S/64MB Cache SCSI RAID card
4 18Gig SCSI U320 drives Channel B - Programs (Stripe & Mirror or RAID 5)
2 18Gig SCSI U160 drives Channel A - OS (Mirror)
1 SATA or SCSI drive (swap file) maybe; I heard it was best to have the swapfile on a seperate drive but with 64Meg Cache it may not matter.
2-2port video cards (PCI-E)
1-4 port Matrox 66Mhz video card (PCI-X)

This is my work machine, I am a trader. That is why the small drives. very dedicated narrow use.

Thanks for the input. The probe is on the block.

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

When I say on the die I am NOT talking about on the surface that will interfere with heat transfer but on the side of the raised portion of the CPU.

Taking your CPU's tempeature is like taking a person's. It more accurate to place the probe "under" it so to speak, but usually a whole lot easier to place it elsewhere.

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

Taking your CPU's tempeature is like taking a person's. It more accurate to place the probe "under" it so to speak, but usually a whole lot easier to place it elsewhere.
I suggest you read this whole thread before anwsering.

I did read the whole thread. So you didn't like my comparison, that doesn't make it false.
It is still more accurate to measure the cpu's temperature from under it as opposed to mounting the probe on the water block for several reasons. But it's more difficult to place the probe there so most people place it on the water block. It's a simple point. Not very difficult to understand. I'm not saying to measure it between the waterblock and the cpu, but under the cpu. There are probes designed to do just that. I have one on my machine. It's a pain to install, and would have been much easier to put it elsewhere.
So I suggest you step back and understand what I was saying before you start taking pot shots at me.

You can disagree with me that my point is not valid if you want. If that is the case then it would have been nice to state it in the manner. Since you can't possibly know if I read everyone's post or not, you really shouldn't speak to that point without finding out first.

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I'd love to see you try doing that on S939(being discussed here)/LGA775/Socket-F.

Now see, why didn't you just post this before instead of sniping? Now we can resolve your concerns.

Computer Power User Magazine (March 2006 Hard Hat area.) has an article on placing a probe on a LGA775 CPU so it contacts the heatspreader without interfering with the cooling system. They placed it between the metal retention bracket that surrounds the CPU and on top of the heat spreader. When they locked it all in place, it held the probe in place also.

Not quite the same thing, but it is a LGA775. It's off to the side but directly in contact with the CPU heat spreader and shouldn't interfere with the water block. This would be more accurate than on the water block.

I confess I don't have every socket/CPU memorized, but then again I never pretended to.

This being said, my point above is still valid. :)

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I did see the other posts. Like I said. They were talking about how to put it on the side, but the poster said he was leaning towards puting it on the block. So I mearly pointed out to HIM not YOU that there is an article that shows how to do it on top of the heat spreader. I thought that maybe he would find that useful.

OK lets go with your idea on this....OH THATS RIGHT..you didn't post one. You only dropped in on this post to take pot shots at the posters.

My God, I don't believe I have ever seen a poster so full of his own self. You may be smart, (I can't vouch for that personeally so I'll take the previous posters word for it.) but you are also an idiot when it comes to others. I have notice from other postings that I am not the only person here that thinks rather lowly of you. Take the hints. Come on show some backbone, be a man and act like an adult.

There is being civil, and then there is you.

As for knowing who I am dealing with, frankly I hope I never do know you. I usually only seek out interesting people.

Sorry to the OP for this rant because it has nothing to do with your question, but I had to respond to this jackass. I will do you the favor of not bringing up this subject anymore in your post. I don't want to distract from any of the ideas that my help you.