[SOLVED] HELP !! Temps & Freq. High after running ThrottleStop on Core2Quad 8200 @ 2.33 Ghz.

Sep 4, 2020
Greetings Everyone,

I wanted to overclock my Core2Quad Q8200 2.33 Ghz so I downloaded a standalone installer of ThrottleStop from TechPowerUP.
Couldn't really figure out what to do so I clicked on some "+" buttons & then "-" buttons to undo changes but never clicked on "Turn ON" or "Save".

Then I exit the installer & forgot about it after few minutes while browsing chrome I decided to check my Temps with HWMonitor and they were all over the place.
I thought maybe its the Chrome browser but then I realized its been like this since I ran ThrottleStop.

Frequencies have gone up too,like,they stay at 2.3 Ghz all the time now.

Ob1fITv.png

I did a stress test and my temps were touching 70-80 degrees,earlier it were 68 degrees at max load and 36-40 degrees at idle but now they remain constant 50 above.
I want to revert back to my previous temps so I can play some games which I have not ran fearing it would be too hot.

6udpLP5.png

Things I have done:-
  1. Deleted the .ini file in ThrottleStop folder as well as deleted the installer itself.
  2. Loaded Fail-Safe and Optimised defaults in BIOS.

Solution
With your CPU, you can use ThrottleStop to decrease the voltage and decrease the CPU speed but there is no setting available that would allow you to increase either of these. That means no increase in power consumption or temperatures.

If you clicked on the High Performance box, that would tell Windows to use the High Performance power profile. Most people use the Balanced power profile. Open up the Control Panel Power Options and set this back to Balanced if that is what you had this set to previously.

Your higher temperatures were likely due to your benchmark testing. Unplug your computer for an hour and your temps will be back to normal.
With your CPU, you can use ThrottleStop to decrease the voltage and decrease the CPU speed but there is no setting available that would allow you to increase either of these. That means no increase in power consumption or temperatures.

If you clicked on the High Performance box, that would tell Windows to use the High Performance power profile. Most people use the Balanced power profile. Open up the Control Panel Power Options and set this back to Balanced if that is what you had this set to previously.

Your higher temperatures were likely due to your benchmark testing. Unplug your computer for an hour and your temps will be back to normal.

Solution
Sep 4, 2020

I never clicked on "Turn On" or "Save" in the ThrottleStop so it shouldnt apply the settings automatically.
I am on a Desktop so have set to Maximum Performance in Windows Power Options.

I'm gonna shut down the machine for a whole night & see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for answering.