Question HELP - "The application has encountered an unrecoverable error."

terranceandroblox

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
Every time I launch the new Overwatch, it prompts me with “The application encountered an unrecoverable error. Click ‘OK’ to create a memory dump, then please share it on our support site.” I have 0 clue what caused this is for I was able to play Overwatch 1 and the Overwatch 2 Beta with ZERO PROBLEMS similar to this. I was able to play OW1 perfectly fine until servers went offline (Sunday, 10/2/2022), did the pre-release content download for OW2, and haven’t been able to launch the game since. In my DxDiag, it first never showed Overwatch.exe in the Diagnostics tab at the very bottom and only showed other errors like vgtray.exe and Mptelemetry. Now, it does show Overwatch and shows it is a "fault bucket, type 0; Event name: PCA2; Response: Not available" Here is a link to my most recent DxDiag.

Here are my specs:
Windows 10 21H2 OS Build 19044.2006
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
16 GB Ram at 3600mhz
Nvidia 3070 (version 512.77)

Here is what I've tried to do to fix the issue (no fixes):
Updated Nvidia drivers to latest update
Updated Windows to latest update
Uninstall and reinstalled Overwatch multiple times
Uninstall and reinstalled Battle.net multiple times
Delete all files/folders regarding Battle.net and Blizzard Entertainment and Overwatch
Launching game and Battle.net as admin
Launch game directly from file explorer instead of Battle.net launcher
Used Command Prompt (as admin) for sfc /scannow (no issues were found)
Disabled Hyper-V and Virtual Machine Platform
Uninstalled most-recent windows updates
Tried running in compatibility mode
Enabled Secure Boot
Uninstalled Riot Vanguard and restarted PC
Disabled full screen optimizations and high DPI scaling override
Disabled everything on startup from Task Manager and MSConfig

Lutfij

Titan
The latest on Nvidia's support site is 517.48. Use DDU to uninstall your current GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest version in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Might want to also check and see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS update.

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

terranceandroblox

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
The latest on Nvidia's support site is 517.48. Use DDU to uninstall your current GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest version in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Might want to also check and see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS update.

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

I have used DDU in the past (and I think it's what caused my issue in the first place) to uninstall old drivers and update to the latest one 517.48. Should I boot into safe mode then use DDU or use DDU in non-safe mode? Also, after uninstalling drivers using DDU once, should I run it a second time to fully clear and remove and remanence of old driver files? If so, should the second time be in safe mode or non-safe mode?

I have noticed there is a new BIOS updated as of 8/12/2022 so I will try and install via M-Flash (I have MSI mobo) and update you if that fixes my issue.

Here is my corrected specs list:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: B450-A PRO MAX (MS-7B86)
Ram: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM at 3200MHz
SSD: SanDisk SD8SB8U256G1122
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164
HDD: WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
PSU: EVGA 650W 80 Plus Gold

Lutfij

Titan
should I run it a second time to fully clear and remove and remanence of old driver files?
Just once. Use DDU while in Safe Mode, reboot and then disconnect from the www so the OS doesn't download and install drivers it thinks is right for your platform.

Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

The PSU with that GPU might be worth a look...how old is the unit?

terranceandroblox

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
I used DDU in safe mode to uninstall old NVIDIA drivers and ran the latest driver update as admin and am now currently on 517.48.

For some reason, M-Flash can't recognize my USB even after converting it to FAT32. I used rufus to try and change the format of it but again, M-flash only recognizes it as a flash drive. My BIOS file doesn't appear inside the flash drive, so I wasn't able to update my BIOS, yet. \

My current BIOS version is from 4/20/2022 version 7C02v3D.

As for my PSU and GPU, I have had my GPU since June of this year, and my PSU for close to 2-3 years. I have noticed though with my PSU it rattles from time to time when booting up my PC. I just shake my tower until the rattling goes away (which is a terrible idea of course).

Also, I am still encountering the same issue. Here is an updated DxDiag log.

Last edited:

terranceandroblox

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
should I run it a second time to fully clear and remove and remanence of old driver files?
Just once. Use DDU while in Safe Mode, reboot and then disconnect from the www so the OS doesn't download and install drivers it thinks is right for your platform.

Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

The PSU with that GPU might be worth a look...how old is the unit?
Turns out it's an issue with their new anti-cheat, Byfron. I already alerted that company of the issue and hopefully they can make Blizzard devs aware..

Reactions: Lutfij