Help the MOST INDECISIVE Person Find/Select a Monitor

nashnas

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
As the title suggests, I cannot make up my damn mind. There are toooooooo many options, so to help make some progress, I'm asking you for input. Open to any and every suggestion.

Budget -- $200
Free-sync is a bonus, not required.
Curved screen is a bonus, not required.

What I'm currently looking at:
Dell SE2717H 27"
Asus VG245H 24"
Sceptre C278W-1920R 27"
Samsung IT LC24F390FHNXZA 24"

:??: :??: :??:

Solution
It's worth noting that these screens use different panel types. The Asus has a TN panel, the Dell has an IPS panel, the Samsung has a VA panel, and it looks like the Sceptre has a VA panel as well, judging by its contrast ratio and curve.

TN panels tend to be the weakest in terms of color accuracy and viewing angles, but they have slightly faster pixel response times than the other panel types. IPS panels tend to have the best color accuracy and viewing angles, but dark areas tend to glow a bit, hurting their contrast. VA panels offer far better contrast than the other panel types with dark blacks, and color accuracy and viewing angles tend to be somewhere between VA and IPS. Some VA panels can show a bit of purplish ghosting in...

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Ranked by quality and features

Asus VG245H 24 Freesync 1ms reponse
Samsung IT LC24F390FHNXZA 24" Freesynce 4ms response
Dell SE2717H 27" 6ms reponse
Sceptre C278W-1920R 27" Nothing special here just Curved.

Both the Asus and Samsung are the best options for Gaming, the Dell has the best picture of all of these but that 6ms response time hurts it. The Samsung and Asus are on par with features so it's a matter of do you want Curved or Not Curved. I prefer the Asus myself the software and screen quality is great as well as having the option to adjust a very beffy stand height.

It's worth noting that these screens use different panel types. The Asus has a TN panel, the Dell has an IPS panel, the Samsung has a VA panel, and it looks like the Sceptre has a VA panel as well, judging by its contrast ratio and curve.

TN panels tend to be the weakest in terms of color accuracy and viewing angles, but they have slightly faster pixel response times than the other panel types. IPS panels tend to have the best color accuracy and viewing angles, but dark areas tend to glow a bit, hurting their contrast. VA panels offer far better contrast than the other panel types with dark blacks, and color accuracy and viewing angles tend to be somewhere between VA and IPS. Some VA panels can show a bit of purplish ghosting in certain scenarios though.

It's hard to pick an order to rank them, since it would depend on what you want out the screen, and the placement could change depending on one's needs. Here's a quick summary of things I noticed about each of them based on their specs though, in no particular order...

- Asus VG245H 24"
TN panel
75Hz with FreeSync
2 HDMI, VGA
2-watt speakers
detailed stand adjustments (tilt, swivel, height and pivot)
3y warranty

- Dell SE2717H 27"
IPS panel
75Hz with FreeSync
larger size
HDMI, VGA
no speakers
limited stand adjustments (only tilt)
1y warranty

- Samsung IT LC24F390FHNXZA 24"
VA panel
60Hz
curved
HDMI, VGA
no speakers
3y warranty

- Sceptre C278W-1920R 27"
VA panel
60Hz
curved
larger size
HDMI, DP, VGA
3-watt speakers
1y warranty

The Asus has some good specs overall, and is the only model here that offers decent stand adjustments. It has a TN panel, which would not be my first choice in panel type due to colors shifting when viewed at an angle, but it is likely still fairly good in terms of image quality, and has fast response times. It also has a slightly higher 75Hz refresh rate, as well as FreeSync, which would be nice if you have an AMD graphics card.

The Dell has an IPS panel for more accurate colors at the expense of slightly slower pixel response, and its a bit larger. It also has Freesync and a 75Hz refresh rate. The stand is underwhelming though.

Out of the two curved VA panel screens, the Sceptre may have better specs on paper, but in general, Samsung screens tend to be of higher quality, since they make their own panels. Sceptre, on the other hand, is more often considered a budget brand. This Sceptre screen is larger than the Samsung though, and it offers speakers and a DisplayPort connection. The Samsung has a better warranty though, and is likely built to higher standards. Both screens should have high, 3000:1 static contrast ratios, which is good, but they have lower 60hz refresh rates than those other screens, and no FreeSync.

Any of these are probably decent-enough screens for their price range. For gaming, those offering a 75Hz refresh rate could allow motion in games to look a bit smoother, particular if you have an AMD graphics card to make use of FreeSync.

Solution

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Dell monitors offer the best Color and depth you will find but response time can be lower which makes them the best for photo editing and secondary for gaming. Dell aesthetics on how they are supported lack and they tend to wobble which I find annoying, I usually mount them.

Asus monitors offer a great blend of color and depth, while giving you a large variety of custom options to tailor things any way you like including overclocking refresh rates and profiles to customize depending on what you are doing. The monitors themselves are built much more sturdy than most giving you a solid base that doesn't flop around to easily.

Samsung monitors can vary all over the place from complete rubbish to absolute gems. That particular monitor is a good budget "WalMart" selection that offers a good screen but lacks nearly all of the software settings you find in the Asus. Samsung like Dell seems to not care about the Flimsiness of stands, All of the monitors and TV's I have seen are woobly and best mounted.

Spectre is like Element I avoid them, they work but you have no idea for how long. The screen quality varies since they buy from Samsung and LG, quality even on the same series varies, Your options for control are much more limited than Asus, Samsung and Dell as well as the build of the monitor being less focused and using a mix of low and high quality parts.

TN VS IPS VS VA

IPS: Best all-rounder for colours and viewing angles with very high refresh rates possible.
VA: Poorer response times than IPS and TN, but very deep blacks and great viewing angles
TN: The fastest, but normally with poorer viewing angles but higher refresh rates

SundownEditing

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
To be as simple as possible and for the sake of making this short and sweet, the Samsung IT LC24F390FHNXZA. I say this especially because you get the most for your money and it' also known for being one of the best-selling monitors, for a good reason too. Also I have a curved monitor and let me tell you, I love the heck outta this thing, especially for gaming. it makes me feel like I don't have to move my eyes as far from one side of the screen to the other. This is especially useful for games where you have a lot on the screen like MMO-RPGs, MOBAs, Rythm, FPS games, etc. where you need wicked quick reaction times. That's just my take on this whole comparison, though. You might be different. But I know you won't go wrong with that monitor.

I'd say the runner-up is the Asus.

I think we're just going to make them even more indecisive. : D

I also think Samsung's curved VA screens look nice, though only having a standard 60hz refresh rate might not be ideal for gaming*, and the mediocre stand adjustments kind of turn me off of that particular model a bit. Samsung has some nicer curved VA panels featuring 144Hz, a more adjustable stand and quantum dot technology for improved colors, but they start around $270 for a 24 inch, 1080p screen.

Some other companies are selling 144Hz curved VA screens that aren't quite as far outside that $200 budget though. The MSI Optix MAG24C, for example, which is currently $238 at Newegg, seems like it could be a pretty good monitor. In addition to the curved 24" 144Hz VA panel with FreeSync, it also offers good stand adjustments (Tilt, Swivel and Height) and a wide 110% sRGB color range.

Or for $200 right now, Amazon has the Acer ED242QR, which also has a curved 24" 144Hz VA panel with FreeSync, though its stand only offers tilt adjustment, and it apparently only has a standard color range.

*Nashnas didn't mention what the screen was going to be used for, but did mention FreeSync, so I assume some gaming might be involved.

I am surprised no one talked about the msi ones. They are good and I think they are just what the OP wants : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824475006&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I know it's a bit over 200, but it's worth it.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

I didn't mention MSI because they are outside the price range.. yes they make very good monitors. When your looking and absolute picture quality at such a low price $200 you get a better monitor avoiding the gimmicky Curved and shying away from 144hz. A good 1080p IPS at this price range is stunningly good quality and when you set them side by side you will see the massive difference in color depth and immersion. 1080p 60hz is a gaming standered right now and anything more is a premium which also requires higher end CPU/GPU combinations to take full advantage of.

@ below $250 you have to make some compromise on what you want.

response time... 5ms is a standered for gaming less is ideal for FPS type gaming
Weaker Feild of View
Average color depth
Average brightness
reflectivness of the outer screen "Bad for rooms with lots of light"
Lack of physical adjustments
Lack or really weak software
fuzzy text
Slight glow around edge of the screen
inconsistent lighting across the panel "Slightly dark regions"

Every monitor listed has a few bad points on this list it's up to the user on what they like.

You also might find these helpful, not many of use listed Acer but they make fantastic monitors as well.
https://hometronix.net/best-gaming-monitors/
https://www.monitornerds.com/best-gaming-monitors-below-200-buying-guide-2017/
http://www.gadgetreview.com/best-gaming-monitors-under-200