Help!! The motherboard doesn't read my GTX 650Ti Graphic Card.

bbz8873

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
The motherboard doesn't read my GTX 650Ti Graphic Card. It was working great couple days ago. I don't know if the PCI-Express slot is broken or my Graphic Card is broken.
There is only one PCI-E x16 slot on the board and there are two PCI x1 slots. I wonder if it will work to have an PCI-E x16 to PCI x1 adapter for the GTX Card pluging into PCI x1 slot.

Have you changed anything? This sounds like a graphics card issue.

Do you have another graphics card that you can swap it with? You can try the graphics card on another system to test it.

Th only other time that I've had this issue is when installing a new card. It wouldn't recognize the card until I had updated the graphics driver. And it wouldn't allow me to do that until I had re-flashed the BIOS.

bbz8873

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Thank you Terry for the response.

I havent changed anything. The fan on the card still turns but it doesnt even read the card. That means I cannt update the driver. I tried default the Bios setting, it didnt work either.

I tried a lot of things and nothing worked. Thats why I am asking if it will work to have an adapter(try PCI x1 instead of using PCI Express 2.0 x16).

There is one other possibility. The power supply may have degraded to the point that it will not operate the graphics card. You can test this by switching out the power supply. Another way is to use a PSU Tester. Or you can take the power supply to a PC repair shop and have them test it. They can also test your graphics card.

I doubt that this is the case . I think the graphics card is the problem.

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Just to note, the PCIe x16 slot provides a maximum of only 75 watts, not 300. This is why the 60 watt GTX 750ti is so often mentioned in the "Best Graphics Cards for the Money" article here, as it's the highest performing card that doesn't require a supplementary power connector; any card needing more than 75 watts will need additional PCIe power cable(s) from the PSU.

Also, while I'm here, it is technically possible to use an x16 PCIe device, such as a graphics card, in an x1 slot, either via an adapter, like this, or in an x1 slot that is open ended (as some smaller slots, particularly x4 slots, occasionally are). The gaming performance would be extremely hamstrung due to the low slot bandwidth, so I certainly don't suggest anyone do it for that purpose, but it is technically possible, and is/was often done by cryptocurrancy miners so they could run 6 cards on a single motherboard (the bandwidth isn't really an issue for that particular task).

Sorry, feeling a bit pedantic today ;)

I was not exact. The PCI Express x16 slot provides a total of 300 watts maximum.

75W FROM THE SLOT + 150W from the 8-pin + 75W from the 6-pn = 300W

Better?

Unless you have a graphics card with nonstandard additional power connectors.

Here is an article that discusses the topic in more detail.

http://www.overclock.net/a/gpu-and-cpu-power-connections

But the graphics card running as you describe ( in a PCIx1 slot) would not work in my opinion.

From what you described, I think that the graphics card has failed. You said that it wasn't detecting the graphics card. The point that the the graphics card fan still turns indicates that it is still getting power (at least some power).

As I said earlier, the other possibility is that your power supply has degraded. That means that the power supply may no longer be able to output the watts that it was originally rated at. The graphics card is the biggest power draw on your system. So the power supply may be putting out enough watts for the motherboard but not enough for the graphics card.

But since the motherboard is no longer detecting the graphics card, I think it is probable that something on the graphics card board has failed. This can be tested by putting the graphics card in another (known to be working) system. If it doesn't work in that system either, then you can say that the graphics card itself that is the problem.