[SOLVED] help this dummy out (disabling DHCP)

Sep 24, 2020
hi there,
so I am trying to DISABLE DHCP on this old D-Link DIR868L router (which I want to turn it into AP mode eventually)

here's the problem,
these are the steps that I was told to do this procedure

STEP 1. Connect a computer to the D-link router and launch a web browser.

STEP 2. Visit the following router configuration page:

http://192.168.0.1

STEP 3. You are prompted to enter a username and password. Enter the following default login credentials:

......and etc.

the problem is that I have problem with STEP 1 and 2

ATTEMPT A: i tried to connect my OLD router to NEW router via ethernet and connect OLD router to laptop with another ethernet
and then when i go to 192.168.0.1 it tells me that the OLD router has to be connected to MODEM
but the current router is already connected to MODEM, so i disconnect the current router and then connect the OLD router.
now this effs everything, because now my original router is disabled and the OLD router (that is now acting like current router) is not connecting to internet becuase of some FIREWALL issue...no idea what it is..

ATTEMPT B:
and then i read somewhere else that the OLD router can be connected to my laptop via ethernet and does not need internet source when I am trying to simply go to
192.168.0.1...so I try that, and it still says I need to connect to the internet.

THEN WHAT SHOULD I DO?

how do I CONNECT MY OLD ROUTER to my laptop without screwing up my current router/network????

Solution
Hi I really appreciate your patience with me
so I think the problem is that this ROUTER is D-link brand but it is designed for OPTIMUM cable only

when I tried to get to the GATEWAY via 192.168.1.1. it makes me log into optimum account
the 'admin' thing does not work for me

so when i get into my account, it would NOT let me change any setting of the router,
because they detect as my SYSTEM being ROUTER-LESS (because my account is with another router...not this second router that I am trying to turn into AP and they do not let me have access to this second router which i hooked up via ethernet cable...)

So I called Optimum and told them I want to turn this second router as AP, plain and simple
and they said I will not be able to do...

kanewolf

Titan
hi there,
so I am trying to DISABLE DHCP on this old D-Link DIR868L router (which I want to turn it into AP mode eventually)

here's the problem,
these are the steps that I was told to do this procedure

STEP 1. Connect a computer to the D-link router and launch a web browser.

STEP 2. Visit the following router configuration page:

http://192.168.0.1

STEP 3. You are prompted to enter a username and password. Enter the following default login credentials:

......and etc.

the problem is that I have problem with STEP 1 and 2

ATTEMPT A: i tried to connect my OLD router to NEW router via ethernet and connect OLD router to laptop with another ethernet
and then when i go to 192.168.0.1 it tells me that the OLD router has to be connected to MODEM
but the current router is already connected to MODEM, so i disconnect the current router and then connect the OLD router.
now this effs everything, because now my original router is disabled and the OLD router (that is now acting like current router) is not connecting to internet becuase of some FIREWALL issue...no idea what it is..

ATTEMPT B:
and then i read somewhere else that the OLD router can be connected to my laptop via ethernet and does not need internet source when I am trying to simply go to
192.168.0.1...so I try that, and it still says I need to connect to the internet.

THEN WHAT SHOULD I DO?

how do I CONNECT MY OLD ROUTER to my laptop without screwing up my current router/network????
Start with a factory reset of the DIR868L
Then leave the DIR disconnected from everything except the wired connection to the laptop.

Reactions: thebannerever
Sep 24, 2020
But you don't care. Just make the config changes.
so I think the problem is that this ROUTER is D-link brand but it is designed for OPTIMUM cable only

when I tried to get to the GATEWAY via 192.168.1.1. it makes me log into optimum account

so when i get into my account, it would NOT let me change any setting of the router,
because they detect as my SYSTEM being ROUTER-LESS (because my account is with another router...not this second router that I am trying to turn into AP and they do not let me have access to this second router which i hooked up via ethernet cable...)

So I called Optimum and told them I want to turn this second router as AP, plain and simple
and they said I will not be able to do that. and They were trying to sell me THEIR OWN WIFI EXTENDER...

I already had very bad bad bad experiences with extenders so I refused.
but this second router still would let me get to the gateway so I can turn off the DHCP.

It is ai vicious cycle. why is it so hard to do this simple procedure???

Is optimum cable lying to me? or is it true that these OPTIMUM-exclusive routers let user have no access to LAN setting, let along the gateway itself?

kanewolf

Titan

and they said I will not be able to do that. and They were trying to sell me THEIR OWN WIFI EXTENDER...

I already had very bad bad bad experiences with extenders so I refused.
but this second router still would let me get to the gateway so I can turn off the DHCP.

It is ai vicious cycle. why is it so hard to do this simple procedure???

Is optimum cable lying to me? or is it true that these OPTIMUM-exclusive routers let user have no access to LAN setting, let along the gateway itself?
I don't know. It is possible that they have hobbled the unit to the point of being unusable. I don't have any hand-on experience with that specific hardware.

For $20 you can buy a nice used Asus RT-N56U on E-bay and it has a 1-button toggle. For $50 you can buy an RT-AC68U on E-Bay. Also 1 button toggle.
It might be worth it to throw that in the electronics recycle bin and get something that just works. I have personally used both of the Asus models as access points.

Solution