Question Help this journalist build a strong config

Jun 7, 2019
Hey,

I'm building a PC for all kinds of use, but I'm really not an expert. I already bought an i7 7700 and I'm looking for some help to get the rest of the config. This is not going to be a gaming PC, but I am planning to play Cities Skylines on it with like a *load of mods installed, and as far as I know, this requires a stronger build. I'm a journalist in Hungary, so I will need it to do things like run Chrome with like twenty tabs open, edit photos in Lightroom and 4K videos in Sony Vegas/Adobe After Effect (some of these at the same time).

I already picked every part (except the GPU and the case), but I still have some questions and concerns.

• Intel Core i7-7700 3.6 GHz
  • be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM
  • Gigabyte GA-H110-D3A ATX LGA1151
  • Team Elite 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
  • Gigabyte 256 GB 2.5" SSD
  • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD
  • Cooler Master - Elite V3 500 W ATX
Qs:
  • Is this a good config at all? Will these parts work together fine?
  • Will these part fit together? I mean I do not know any dimensions. What sized case should I pick?
  • Do I need a gaming motherboard, like the Z270 or the one in the list will be enough?
  • I would like a quiet PC, not like I'm standing next to a Boeing 777 taking off. Should I pick another CPU cooler/PSU?
  • GPU. I'm thinking of a GTX 1060/1070. What do you recommend?

Thank you all for the answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Memory should be 2x8 and not 1x16
WD drive seems a bit small if you're doing 4k video editing. for 2tb it should be just a little more.
You need an ATX case, midiATX is enough if you want something smallish
The cooler is the slim version, if you get a bigger version it should be quieter, not sure how loud that one is.
10xx series is not made anymore, so you should go for a 1650/1660/1660ti - depends on your money
Your PSU is a rated really bad - If it is the one listed at the bottom here https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/

if you have only 1x16 GB stick, add another..

I'd expect the 7700 to serve fine for basic desktop needs for awhile...

(certainly my 7700K does, and likely has a few years before being considered only suitable as a little NAS server..)

You did not mention a GPU, not sure if you will need one, depending on the games...(alas, I am not familiar with recommended/needed graphics requirements for Cities Skylines...; if you can find a good price on a GTX1060 or 1660, you'd be set for most games in 1080P)

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As said above, CPU is good for your use.

I'd get two RAM modules to enable the system to run in dual channel mode not single. I agree with mdd1963, if you're editing photos and 4K videos I'd get 32GB RAM (2x16GB).

The motherboard is good. You'd need a Z series board if you're going to overclock your CPU/system and that's out of question with a non-K CPU. As said, a GTX 1060 6GB or a 1660 would be great for gaming at that resolution on a 60Hz monitor.

If possible get a larger SSD and from a better brand like Crucial MX or Samsung drives.

I agree with ElectrO_90, the PSU is not a good quality one. I'd get a good Seasonic, EVGA or Corsair one.

Jun 7, 2019
Thank you for your answers. :)

I was going to get 1 x 16 Gb RAM because I don't want to spend too much on these, and the motherboard I choose only supports up to 2 RAMs (only has 2 slots). But I'm thinking of upgrading it to 2 x 16 Gb later on.

Btw is it okay if I put in 1 x 16 Gb and 1 x 4/8 Gb? Would this affect performance?

No. Whatever RAM you want/need, buy it as a set. Not mismatched parts.

RAM is only guaranteed to work as they are sold.
2x8, 2x16, 2x4...

Mismatched sets may work, or they may fail.

And you really really really need an SSD in there.
If you are going to be that careful then even getting a set is not enough you have to check with the manual/website to get a compatible (checked by the mobo maker) set of rams.

(Again IF you are going to be paranoid ... do it right)