Question Help this old PCI sound card user find his way.

am1590

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I just upgraded my system. My old board had a PCI slot that was home to my beloved xfi-fatal1ty pro sound card. This card was and still is amazing for directional/immersive gaming audio and jamming out to tunes. It appears to me sound cards are now out of style? Has on-board sound caught up or are there other solutions out there that are better? I don't want to settle for anything less than what I was used to. Play a ton of FPS/open world games and am used to pin pointing exactly what direction a sound is coming from and love the immersive aspect of the directional audio. Where do I go from here?
Thanks
Aaron

Reactions: Tac 25
I just upgraded my system. My old board had a PCI slot that was home to my beloved xfi-fatal1ty pro sound card. This card was and still is amazing for directional/immersive gaming audio and jamming out to tunes. It appears to me sound cards are now out of style? Has on-board sound caught up or are there other solutions out there that are better? I don't want to settle for anything less than what I was used to. Play a ton of FPS/open world games and am used to pin pointing exactly what direction a sound is coming from and love the immersive aspect of the directional audio. Where do I go from here?
Thanks
Aaron
This ^^

Has on-board sound caught up or are there other solutions out there that are better? I don't want to settle for anything less than what I was used to. Play a ton of FPS/open world games and am used to pin pointing exactly what direction a sound is coming from and love the immersive aspect of the directional audio.

On new motherboard, built-in audio is comparable to high-end consumer sound card.

If you are a professional, using a separate sound card is sometimes required, otherwise you shouldn't bother with it.

Reactions: Why_Me
This combo DAC/Amp could be a better choice than a PCI sound card.

phonitorxe___spl_audio-1100x642.jpg

am1590

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I finally got my system up and running and I have to say onboard sound (least on my board) has come a long ways. Not as good as my old PCI card, but not far enough behind to make me want a new card. My next sound upgrade will come in the form of a better headset. Thanks to everyone for chiming in.