Question Help to change 500GB to 1TB on NVME PCie

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Hi,

I am new to nvme ssds but find a PC box I bought has a 500GB card in it for the os.

I want 1TB so is there anything I need to know when changing the card?

It is a HPZ640 Win 10 Pro

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
No other drives at the mo'.
Yes I am going to do that but want to move all my progs etc to the new drive and too many to reinstall so have used Laplink which has been great for me before.
Trouble is I have more used progs on the source than what there is space on this new 500GB. I am about 80GB short of space.
At first, I thought the os ssd was a regular one so bought a 1TB and did a Macrium clone so was going to transfer all files to this, but then I saw it was this NVRM thingo which I had never seen before.
I can go back and select only enough progs to fit the new drive but it takes a few hours to do it.

USAFRet

Titan
No other drives at the mo'.
Yes I am going to do that but want to move all my progs etc to the new drive and too many to reinstall so have used Laplink which has been great for me before.
Trouble is I have more used progs on the source than what there is space on this new 500GB. I am about 80GB short of space.
At first, I thought the os ssd was a regular one so bought a 1TB and did a Macrium clone so was going to transfer all files to this, but then I saw it was this NVRM thingo which I had never seen before.
I can go back and select only enough progs to fit the new drive but it takes a few hours to do it.
Cloning to a SATA III SSD is no problem, assuming sufficient size.

Please don't try to clone only part of it (select only enough progs). This will end in tears.

Almost certainly, the consumed space problem on the current drive is not programs, but rather other data.
Even including Restore Points or similar.

But, cloning/imaging to a new larger NVMe drive is easily doable.
But you need some other drive with sufficient free space (500GB+) to hold the full contents of the current drive.

To start, some diagnostics:
Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.

Also, a screencap of your Disk Management window.

USAFRet

Titan
To move from one NVMe to another, with only one NVMe M.2 port:

Assuming you have another drive (any type of drive) with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks". Create this on a small USB flash drive or DVD.
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Restore (on the toolbar), and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.