Jan 24, 2021
Hi. My friend wants to buy a pc for work and asks me to help her. I chose AMD Ryzen 5600X and Radeon 6800XT (if she can find one of course). But I can't decide about mainboard and ram.
She use this pc for rendering with Lumion, 3ds max and maybe Unreal engine in future, but most often works with Lumion.
(For those who don't know, Lumion is gpu intensive and use a game engine to render projects, also mostly single-threaded)

Overclocking is NOT expected.
Gaming performance is NOT a concern, but relevant I think since Lumion use game engine and Unreal being an actual game engine.
Rendering time is a concern.
Maximum budget is about $2400 but she gonna be happier if spend less.
This budget is only for pc and not monitor or any other accessories.

My questions here are:
  1. There are any benefits from a X570 chipset for these use cases, or she can go with a B550 and save some money there? Please suggest a board.
  2. What are best ram for this pc? I'm asking about speed and model, not the amount. (I heard AMD cpus works better with high speed ram and some rams works better on some mainboards. Are these true?)
  3. If the cpu can benefits from high speed rams, how much increase in performance is expected in these applications and is that worth the extra money?
  4. Is in-box cpu cooler any good or should go for a better one? Please suggest some if in-box cooler isn't an option.
  5. I gonna be more than happy to get any suggestion on other parts including cpu and gpu. Are my choices good at all?

Thank you and the "Sorry for my English", it's not my native language.

Solution
Hi. My friend wants to buy a pc for work and asks me to help her. I chose AMD Ryzen 5600X and Radeon 6800XT (if she can find one of course). But I can't decide about mainboard and ram.
She use this pc for rendering with Lumion, 3ds max and maybe Unreal engine in future, but most often works with Lumion.
(For those who don't know, Lumion is gpu intensive and use a game engine to render projects, also mostly single-threaded)

Gaming performance is NOT a concern, but relevant I think since Lumion use game engine and Unreal being an actual game engine.
This budget is only for pc and not monitor or any other...

My questions here are:
  1. There are any benefits from a X570 chipset for these use cases, or she can go with a B550 and save some money there? Please suggest a board.
  2. What are best ram for this pc? I'm asking about speed and model, not the amount. (I heard AMD cpus works better with high speed ram and some rams works better on some mainboards. Are these true?)
  3. If the cpu can benefits from high speed rams, how much increase in performance is expected in these applications and is that worth the extra money?
  4. Is in-box cpu cooler any good or should go for a better one? Please suggest some if in-box cooler isn't an option.
  5. I gonna be more than happy to get any suggestion on other parts including cpu and gpu. Are my choices good at all?

1. B550 would be fine. There are lots of boards to choose from, pick one that has the features you want. Ones I would look at would be MSI Tomahawk, Gigabyte Aorus Elite, Asus TUF Gaming or ROG Strix Gaming.

2. 3600Mhz ram is like the sweet spot for speed. However, if you are planning on getting a boat load of ram then 3200Mhz would also work and maybe cheaper for 64GB kits.

3. The difference in performance from say 2400Mhz to 3600Mhz is fairly substantial I think, but I'm not so sure you would see such a difference between 3200Mhz and 3600Mhz outside of benchmarks. Perhaps in certain workloads you would.

4. The in box cooler isn't great. Replacing it with some kind of tower cooler is a pretty good idea. Noctua and BeQuiet do pretty good ones. Scythe are good for low noise and not breaking the bank.

5. A 5600x and 6800XT seems like a very good combination, will be great for gaming.

Reactions: mrb96
Solution
Something like this maybe:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($274.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($155.68 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($147.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1009.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-24 19:30 EST-0500

Reactions: mrb96 and Why_Me

My questions here are:
What country are you in and what site(s) do you want to order from?

Reactions: mrb96
Jan 24, 2021
What country are you in and what site(s) do you want to order from?
I'm from Iran and don't access to majority of retailer sites so I should buy it from stores and parts cost 10-20% more to buy due to import costs. Availibility of parts is another issue but well known brands are easier to find.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021
Something like this maybe:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($274.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($155.68 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($147.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1009.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-24 19:30 EST-0500
Looks like a solid build. Thanks.
For mainboard what about Asus Prime B550M-A. Is it good? This system is supposed to be under heavy load for long durations, so if that gonna be a problem with cheaper board I go with the one you suggests.