Question Help to find compatible CPU for my PC

YOu'd need to get the specific mainboard's CPU support list, and verify what processors that board was known to support. (It's possible none of the most -wanted desktop CPUs in the 84-90 watt TDP class are supported, depending on their thermal solutions/VRM design and selection, and no one wants to pay $50 and then find out it can't be used...)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I7 3770k, i7-3770, Xeon E3-1270 v2 down to E3-1230, i7 2700, i7 2600.

Any i5/Xeon 4c/4t isn't going to be much better than what you have now, you'd be trading 2cores/4threads for 4cores/4threads which only really benefits heavy 4thread usage, and not all that much. Not for the price difference.

But as mentioned, you'll need to look up supported cpus for your particular Compaq model number because the bios is often written to only accept certain cpus. While most ppl consider this a bone-headed approach, for Compaq, HP, Dell, Lenovo, Sony etc, it means if you had wanted a bigger/better pc, they have more expensive models you could/should have purchased instead.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What's the model number of the pc. Compaq Presario 5310 or Presario 5000 or Presario 7100 etc. Compaq, like Dell or HP etc uses the exact same board in a dozen+ different models, but the bios is specific to only a few in the exact same series.

The H61 chipset on that Pegatron mobo is lga1155 and fully capable of supporting any lga1155 cpu. It'll be the model number specific bios which will determine exactly what Compaq will specifically allow. Many times it's any cpu except the 2x K series cpus, but just as often on the budget models it'll also not allow any i7 or Xeon cpus as well, meaning the absolute best cpu you could do, regardless of actual chipset, is the i5-3570. If it even allows for 3rdGen Ivy-Bridge at all, so could very well be the i5-2500 is your best choice.

All depends on the model and bios code.

Reactions: giedrala25
What country are you in?

TBH, your current system is actually fairly dated (8 years old) even before we factor in the 35W CPU limit and the i3-2120T. It probably also has no solid state drive, and I'm guessing 4GB RAM.

What might be your budget if we do down a system replacement route?

The best 35 Watt Sandybridge CPU is an i5-2390T, but is likely going to require a bios update if you haven't already updated the bios. It's still not a great upgrade and it's faster than an i3-2120T, but the money would be better spent buying new parts or faster used parts.

Well it sounds that I need another PC. I was thinking to spend £100 or something just to speedup this machine a bit. I upgraded ram from 4GB to 8GB, I though if I upgrade CPU it will last me for another year or two.

I provided link below for another PC I would be grateful if you could tell is it better?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-EliteDe...a&pf_rd_r=EQJ4TA42BZBVF5YHW6CZ&qid=1572165531
I actually just bought a used 600 G1 for my nephew (same basic specs) and it uses a 12pin to motherboard sff PSU, so if you wanted to move the parts to a new case to use a larger video card, you would need to get a 12 to 24pin adapter to use a standard ATX PSU. Otherwise it's a pretty decent system once upgraded to 8-16GB.

Edit - It's not a 12pin connector, it's a different adapter. I never looked at it closely. To use a standard ATX PSU, you can find the correct adapter here https://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-...24%2dPin-to-6%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html

Last edited: