Question [Help] Tried to build pc, think i messed everything up.

May 23, 2019
Hi, Its gonna be a long one...

I bought all the components for my new pc and tried to install it all(first time). I kinda messed up. I did it watching some tutorials. Pc boots up fine and i can see bios, i didn't get pass bios since i didn't install an OS yet.
Components are:
Asrock b450m Hdv r4.0
Be quiet system power 9 500w
Ryzen 2600
Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb 3000mhz ram
Seagate Barracuda 1tb sata3 hdd
Zalman T5 matx case
gigabyte windforce rx460 4gb gpu(i already had this one)

I think i did mainly 3 things wrong:

1-I installed cpu to mb with no issues(i had some thermal paste in my hand but not much, most of it eas still on thr cpu cooler so i just installed it.I also had some trouble installing rams, i couldn't find which way the rams should look, and it didnt fit in since only one side had the latches, i forced it a lot and it ended up fine, i think. Than when it came to install the motherboard to case i didn't know that i should have had standoffs, i just installed it right away. Luckily the case had some installed, but apparently not enough. I checked a review and it said it had only enough standoffs for a mini-itx mb and my mb is mAtx. Apparently they give you the additional standoffs for mAtx separately and i didnt use them. As far as i can check, i think the existing standoffs keep it higher but im not sure since i didnt remove it from the case. But when i read online, everyone says it can short the motherboard( it sounds bad even tho i dont know what it means) and now im freaking out.

2- After im done with PSU installation, I installed the gpu in the pciex slot. I think gpu is installed fine in the pciex slot. But gpu screw holes didn't line up with the case even though it was fit in the Pciex port. I tried everything and no luck. So I opened two holes in the case that fits the screwholes in the case and layered it.I DID IT WHILE THE ALL COMPONENTS WERE STILL IN THE CASE. As I read, dust coming out when you open holes is another cause for motherboard to short.

3- I didn't know these two were big problems yesterday so I booted up the pc. Everything seems fine, I enabled XMP profile, Cpu seems like its running hot(47 degrees)I think but not that much. Except for one thing, when i shut down the pc from the power button, it shuts down, you hear fans stopping etc. then 1 second after shut down i hear a sizzling- almost whining but kind of electric sound coming from the case for like 1 second and it stops. Happened all the times i shut down. I thought it was the psu but i listened with open case and it's coming from the middle of the case. Case fan, cpu fan or motherboard. Definitely not from the hdd.

I'm really freaked out. I feel like I spend 500 dollars for this mess. What should I do now ? I'm going to remove the motherboard and install it with other standoffs when i come back from the work. What should i do about the gpu ? Should i keep it the way it is or try installing it again with proper holes in the motherboard ? Gpu moved from its way when i screwed it to the holes i opened so im kind of nervous about it too but it seems working, fans etc. How can i know there is a short in the motherboard ? Might a short in the motherboard hurt other components too ?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

I'll attach some photos in an hour.

Edit:
These are the pics of the case, screwholes i opened for gpu and bios.

https://ibb.co/kgd2Kjt

https://ibb.co/tsNsrQf

https://ibb.co/hVDJtLB

https://ibb.co/5YXzQ3y

https://ibb.co/XVyj4NQ

Last edited:
Hi, the "sizzling" noise should be alright. All computers make some sort of noise when they turn off. This noise likely happens while it's on too, it's just that the sound of the PC running drowns it out. As for 47°, that is a good temperature, nothing to worry about.
The standoffs on the other hand should all be screwed in. Make sure you do this, as they might also act as grounding the motherboard (but not usually anymore). For the dust, if you can find a can of compressed air, use that. Don't use deodorant, I really do mean just a can of air. Usually dust isn't too much of a problem though, unless there is lots of it. The reason the GPU moved might be because you hadn't lined it up. If it is not aligned properly, the screws will just push against it and move it away. Happens to me all of the time.

May 23, 2019
o
Hi, the "sizzling" noise should be alright. All computers make some sort of noise when they turn off. This noise likely happens while it's on too, it's just that the sound of the PC running drowns it out. As for 47°, that is a good temperature, nothing to worry about.
The standoffs on the other hand should all be screwed in. Make sure you do this, as they might also act as grounding the motherboard (but not usually anymore). For the dust, if you can find a can of compressed air, use that. Don't use deodorant, I really do mean just a can of air. Usually dust isn't too much of a problem though, unless there is lots of it. The reason the GPU moved might be because you hadn't lined it up. If it is not aligned properly, the screws will just push against it and move it away. Happens to me all of the time.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Yeah i thought the same about the sizzling but it starts after the pc shuts down.It's like pc shuts down, power led goes off, psu goes off,fans start slowing down and just when fans are about to stop i hear the sizzling sound. its like 1 or 2 seconds.

Maybe you misunderstood but the dust isn't normal dust. It's the dust from drilling the case to layer the gpu screwholes with case screwholes. so its not normal dust. problem is i already booted up the pc like ten times not knowing the metal dust might cause a short in motherboard. So even if i use compressed air or a hair dryer to let go of the dust, if there was any dust in any component, the damage is done.

i want to know if this small amount of metal dust or lack of standoffs caused a damage to any component and cause this sound.i'll rebuild the pc and try to unplug the case fan to rule out the possibility that the sound is coming from it.

Once again, not using the motherboard standoffs can cause damage, if the motherboard utilises one/multiple of them to ground itself.
As for the metal dust, that can also cause damage. All you can do is try to clean it out and then use the PC to see if it works. To clean it out, just blast it with compressed air. Once you are sure there is no dust anymore, try it to see if it works. Chances are it will be fine.
The sound is nothing to worry about, it's perfectly normal. You might notice that if you put your ear next to a phone charger while its plugged in and in use, you can hear the electricity whining. Same thing goes for computers. It's just something happening that makes a noise.

Reactions: jackg2148
May 23, 2019
Once again, not using the motherboard standoffs can cause damage, if the motherboard utilises one/multiple of them to ground itself.
As for the metal dust, that can also cause damage. All you can do is try to clean it out and then use the PC to see if it works. To clean it out, just blast it with compressed air. Once you are sure there is no dust anymore, try it to see if it works. Chances are it will be fine.
The sound is nothing to worry about, it's perfectly normal. You might notice that if you put your ear next to a phone charger while its plugged in and in use, you can hear the electricity whining. Same thing goes for computers. It's just something happening that makes a noise.
Thank you ! im relieved a little bit...ill get it done as soon as i go back to the apartment. I'll update when i do.

Reactions: ConanLock
May 23, 2019

Hey, i just re-installed everything. I installed the motherboard using the standoffs(i used all the standoff holes i can use on the case, the others were not covered by the mobo), used a hair dryer to clean-up.

The thing is, i tried really hard to layer the screwholes in gpu to the screwholes in the case. Only one hole matched when i forced the gpu a little bit up. So i screwed it. But the problem is, the back of the gpu left open. I cant screw it because the screwhole is too loose, and cant snap it into place. Can i use it like that ? Will it cause me any trouble ? Photo of it is in the end of the post.The new look of Gpu screws are also in the end of the post.

Second is, i used plastic-like wire- string stuff i found in one of the components package to do cable managament.(it wasnt given to use for cable management) will this plastic cause a trouble any static-elektrik type of <mod edit> because im tired of thinking about it. Photos of the string-wires are at the end of the post.

Third is, the sound is still there and as i can hear its coming from cpu or something near that. maybe i should just ignore it as long as i dont see a performance problem.

Pics(i couldnt make them visible properly but just click them they're visible)

https://ibb.co/Rg7gb2j
https://ibb.co/k08z53x
https://ibb.co/tHgmHYc

Last edited by a moderator:
May 23, 2019
That bit on the GPU doesn't actually have to screw in. It just holds it in place a little bit... I never screw them in. As long as your GPU doesn't fall out (which I can see it won't) it's fine.
What do you think about the back of the gpu being left open(which you can see from pictures i attached in the last entry) do you think its fine, or should i close it somehow(even tho i cant...)

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would leave it open if the piece meant to be there won't fit properly.
If you have positive airflow in that case (more intake air than exhaust from fans) it will just exhaust air from the case.
And the plastic zip ties on your cables are fine.
I personally prefer not to use them because you have to cut them off if you need to work on the pc.
I prefer velcro straps (or plastic covered twist ties) but that's just a pet peeve of mine.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019
I would leave it open if the piece meant to be there won't fit properly.
If you have positive airflow in that case (more intake air than exhaust from fans) it will just exhaust air from the case.
And the plastic zip ties on your cables are fine.
I personally prefer not to use them because you have to cut them off if you need to work on the pc, but that's just a pet peeve of mine.
It only has one pre installed fan on behind. Ill buy more but not sure where to install. so ill be fine you say ?,

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
That depends on what case you have.
Look in the user manual for your case, it should say what options it allows for adding fans.
I personally would want 2 or 3 front intake fans and 1 top and 1 back exhaust fan ( with exhaust fans set to run slower than the intake fans).

May 23, 2019
do you mind if i see a picture of the pc from a slightly far back shot so i can see the mother board power supply etc all in one
https://ibb.co/CP0bgyY
https://ibb.co/rw9tpgg
here are the pictures.

what do you think about the wires( plastic or nylon not sure) i used for cable management ? photos of them are two or three entries up.u think that might be a issue ?

You don't really need extra fans. Your PC is fine now. You said earlier that you don't have an OS yet. It's actually free to download and install Windows 10. All you need is a blank disc or usb stick. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support do the Windows media creation tool option, ignore the Rufus option. If you use a blank disc, choose dvd and not flash drive where the option comes up.

May 23, 2019
You don't really need extra fans. Your PC is fine now. You said earlier that you don't have an OS yet. It's actually free to download and install Windows 10. All you need is a blank disc or usb stick. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support do the Windows media creation tool option, ignore the Rufus option. If you use a blank disc, choose dvd and not flash drive where the option comes up.
I already have a bootable usb somewhere around, i just didnt install it yet. Im afraid to boot the pc because of the wires i used to keep things clean. i think i found them in the pc case in a bag but im not sure.

https://ibb.co/Mg5BBgs

this is what i used. you think it's ok to use ?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would definitely add a front fan at least.
I don't know about you but I have 5 fans in my case and my Ryzen 5 2600 OC'd idles at 27-28 C and maxes out around 50-55C after gaming for 3-4 hours or more.
If your CPU idles at 47 C that is way to hot IMO.

Last edited: