Question [Help] Tried to build pc, think i messed everything up.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 23, 2019
Hi, Its gonna be a long one...

I bought all the components for my new pc and tried to install it all(first time). I kinda messed up. I did it watching some tutorials. Pc boots up fine and i can see bios, i didn't get pass bios since i didn't install an OS yet.
Components are:
Asrock b450m Hdv r4.0
Be quiet system power 9 500w
Ryzen 2600
Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb 3000mhz ram
Seagate Barracuda 1tb sata3 hdd
Zalman T5 matx case
gigabyte windforce rx460 4gb gpu(i already had this one)

I think i did mainly 3 things wrong:

1-I installed cpu to mb with no issues(i had some thermal paste in my hand but not much, most of it eas still on thr cpu cooler so i just installed it.I also had some trouble installing rams, i couldn't find which way the rams should look, and it didnt fit in since only one side had the latches, i forced it a lot and it ended up fine, i think. Than when it came to install the motherboard to case i didn't know that i should have had standoffs, i just installed it right away. Luckily the case had some installed, but apparently not enough. I checked a review and it said it had only enough standoffs for a mini-itx mb and my mb is mAtx. Apparently they give you the additional standoffs for mAtx separately and i didnt use them. As far as i can check, i think the existing standoffs keep it higher but im not sure since i didnt remove it from the case. But when i read online, everyone says it can short the motherboard( it sounds bad even tho i dont know what it means) and now im freaking out.

2- After im done with PSU installation, I installed the gpu in the pciex slot. I think gpu is installed fine in the pciex slot. But gpu screw holes didn't line up with the case even though it was fit in the Pciex port. I tried everything and no luck. So I opened two holes in the case that fits the screwholes in the case and layered it.I DID IT WHILE THE ALL COMPONENTS WERE STILL IN THE CASE. As I read, dust coming out when you open holes is another cause for motherboard to short.

3- I didn't know these two were big problems yesterday so I booted up the pc. Everything seems fine, I enabled XMP profile, Cpu seems like its running hot(47 degrees)I think but not that much. Except for one thing, when i shut down the pc from the power button, it shuts down, you hear fans stopping etc. then 1 second after shut down i hear a sizzling- almost whining but kind of electric sound coming from the case for like 1 second and it stops. Happened all the times i shut down. I thought it was the psu but i listened with open case and it's coming from the middle of the case. Case fan, cpu fan or motherboard. Definitely not from the hdd.

I'm really freaked out. I feel like I spend 500 dollars for this mess. What should I do now ? I'm going to remove the motherboard and install it with other standoffs when i come back from the work. What should i do about the gpu ? Should i keep it the way it is or try installing it again with proper holes in the motherboard ? Gpu moved from its way when i screwed it to the holes i opened so im kind of nervous about it too but it seems working, fans etc. How can i know there is a short in the motherboard ? Might a short in the motherboard hurt other components too ?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

I'll attach some photos in an hour.

Edit:
These are the pics of the case, screwholes i opened for gpu and bios.

https://ibb.co/kgd2Kjt

https://ibb.co/tsNsrQf

https://ibb.co/hVDJtLB

https://ibb.co/5YXzQ3y

https://ibb.co/XVyj4NQ

Last edited:

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
any temp is fine as long as under load its not going above 75 c then i would look into why its so dam hot but with my systems i like it to not go above 60 c but the CPU can be fine up to about 90 c it will slow down to protect it self but if it going that hot turn it off and work out whats going on not safe to run at very high temps for long periods 🤔

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Cooler is ALWAYS better when it comes to PC temperatures IMO (and just about everyone else's too).
His 2600 Idles close to the Max temps I ever see and MY 2600 is OC'd to 3.95 GHz on all cores.
Why would you want to idle at high temps when a few fans will allow it to idle MUCH cooler and therefore prolong it's life.

The 2600 is a 65W TDP CPU so it can idle at MUCH lower temps with proper cooling/airflow.

Last edited:

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
ive never had a cpu go bad it normally gets replaced because of how out dated it is they have very long life spans in my experience just depends on how much your willing to spend on cooling parts for me i went with Noctua fans since noise level is pretty important to me but there expensive as hell for fans . im pretty sure there idle temp is high because there on the bios and using the amd stock cooler.

edit:
ps when i say high its warmer than what it could be but it is perfectly safe 😁

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I agree that idling at 47C won't kill the CPU.
BUT he is a first time builder so why not teach him to add proper airflow to a case thereby lowering CPU, GPU, HDD and MB temps.
And as I said before Lower Temps are always better for a PC or any IC/electronics.
Overheating: Enemy Number One:
https://askbobrankin.com/overheating_enemy_number_one.html
Thermal management targets the enemy of electronics:
https://www.militaryaerospace.com/c...rgets-the-enemy-of-electronics-excessive-heat
etc., etc.

Reactions: ConanLock

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
dont forget once windows 10 is installed go to windows update let that do its thing reboot when asked keep using it till its fully up to date then go to the mother boards web site and download there drivers then go to the graphic cards web site download there driver too and think amd had stuff to download duno never really learned my self with amd yet last amd athlon cpu i had was a amd 64 3000 lol

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
There is Ryzen Master BUT he won't need that unless he wants to attempt OCing the CPU and I personally don't recommend that because too many amateur OC'ers end up with a PC that won't boot after using it without really understanding it.
I personally used it just to test a few OC's before manually setting them in BIOS.

The AMD chipset drivers do include the AMD Balanced Power Plan which works well though.
My CPU idles at 1.55 GHz and maxes out at 3.95 GHz (on all cores) as needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: retroforlife

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
Your Computers Two Worst Enemies

keeping a pc off the ground and in a pet free zone and smoke free is very helpful in not having to deal with the mess that builds up inside a case very true DMAN999 i clean a lot of crap out of a ton of systems can kill fans block heat sinks 🤢
once a year clean to keep on top of it a lot of people dont and wonder why there system runs hot after a few years 🙄

Reactions: DMAN999
May 23, 2019
For my Sempron, the main reason it's so hot is because it hasn't had a thermal paste change since 2004. I'm going to get round to doing that soon, probably when the new 1gb ddr-400Mhz ram arrives.

i cant install win10 since my usb disk is dead. ill buy another one and burn the win10 iso to it tomorrow.

It aint no issue, but the whining- almost electrical sound is still there for 1-2 seconds after i turn off the pc... it really annoys me and makes me think there's something wrong with cpu or mobo since the sound comes from there. I hope i wont face any issues after windows installation on daily use and gaming.

Edit: do you think i should remove the cpu cooler, boot the pc and shut down immideatly just to check if this sound was coming from the cpu cooler ? i really dont want to put much thought into it but i dont know cant get this out my head...

Last edited:
There are probably multiple sounds, so even if the cooler is one of them, you would still hear sounds. The disk drive will be stopping, the HDD will be, as will all of the other components. Plus, the circuit parts on the motherboard, capacitors etc make noises naturally. Even if you took everything out and just booted the motherboard by itself. You will most likely still get the noise.
You can upload a video to YouTube or something, and then I'll take a listen to see what it sounds like.

May 23, 2019
There are probably multiple sounds, so even if the cooler is one of them, you would still hear sounds. The disk drive will be stopping, the HDD will be, as will all of the other components. Plus, the circuit parts on the motherboard, capacitors etc make noises naturally. Even if you took everything out and just booted the motherboard by itself. You will most likely still get the noise.
You can upload a video to YouTube or something, and then I'll take a listen to see what it sounds like.
Hey, i'll definitely do that. but right nie i have another problem... i just installed windows and i was checking the temps from hw monitor and it seems that TMPIN6 and TMPIN8 sensors are too high.115 and 107.
https://ibb.co/vVwdhr0
can it be wrong ? i dont think pc would work in that temp. when i check the temps from bios, mb temp is 37 and cpu is 46.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Last edited:
Reactions: ElectrO_90

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
Some software reads the sensors wrong it's unlikely to be that hot unless your doing something extreme definitely try other software to read it . maybe also try a bios update of there newest version if your mother boards bios is a older one 🤔

May 23, 2019
Your GPU is 2 slots thick, and both slots should be having access to the air at the back.
With the black tab thing still it, you are twisting your GPU slightly. Because it is blocking it.

https://ibb.co/gvxy9ZK

i removed it without opening the case. i forced it out with a screwdriver. there was a little bit iron dust but i pushed them out with hair dryer. you think its fine now ? should i install the gpu again ?