Help: troubleshooting a new build

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I'm building a new pc (components list below). It's been ~20y so I plugged in everything and ... the power led went on - nothing else. Replugged in everything - same thing.

Unplugged everything, tried the psu testing tool. Good - psu fan turns on.

With just the cpu, ram, graphics card & wifi card (left it in for a quick test) installed and power only going to the mobo (20+4 atx & 12v cables), the power button works. Fan goes on & turns off when power button is pressed.

My main Q: What should I connect next? I'd like to connect something, test that it works and then move on. If I add power to the graphics card should I at least see a boot or bios screen?

-----------

CPU | [Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor]
Motherboard | [Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard]
Memory | [G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory]
Storage | [A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]
Storage | [Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive]
Video Card | [PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card]
Case | [Cooler Master Silencio 352 MicroATX Mini Tower Case]
Power Supply | [EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply]
Operating System | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)]
Wireless Network Adapter | [Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter]

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I'm not getting any output out of the video card if I plug the power cables to it.

As far as the fans go, when they are connected to power they turn on when the computer turns on. (and now there's a beep after it turns on too). But if I plug in the 4 pin connector from the plug giving power to the fans into the 'sys fan' on the mobo, all the fans start briefly when I hit the power button and then stop. I'm assuming that's what the 'sys fan' jack on the mobo is for - and switching the plug into it results in the same thing. So I guess it's not supposed to go there? Wondering how the mobo controls the fans then.

What next? I don't even know if my cpu works. I did reseat the ram & the video card and removed the wifi card as well.

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I removed both the wifi card and the video card and voila - got to the BIOS screen! Does that mean my video card is bad or I need to do other stuff before I can try installing it?

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
OK - with all front panel items plugged in, plus both hard drives, it gets to the screen indicating I need to set a boot device. This is without the video card & wifi card. Tomorrow I'll try futzing with the bios to set a boot device and see about installing Win10 from a usb stick. After Win10 is installed I'll try installing the wifi card & then the video card.

Progress!

Crapcicle

Reputable
BANNED
Jan 7, 2016
If you get no input from the GPU but you get input from the integrated graphics that means you have to disable the integrated graphics from the bios or windows then plug in your GPU again. I had the exact same problem when i was building my new rig recently.

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
OK. I figured I'd try installing the GPU after I got Windows installed & updated.

Question: should the 'sys fan' jack on the mobo stay empty?

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
OK, thanks for clarifying. This feels way newer to me then it should! Though back in the day I worked desktop support and was building/rebuilding boxes constantly :)

Crapcicle

Reputable
BANNED
Jan 7, 2016
Always hard removing the rust from the old builder's noggin when technology advances so quickly these days. If I didn't use this forum I would have probably forgotten almost everything I learned already.

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I got Windows installed & updated, along with the wifi card. I just can't figure out how to install the Radeon R9. At best, I got its fans running. I did disable the integrated graphics (it's still disabled in the Device Manager) but I'll be damned if I can get the R9 to install.

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I got it working somehow - went into the BIOS & changed the BIOS output to the PCI slot, and all seems good now. Got Windows installed from a usb stick and am just formatting the storage drive before starting installing/copying over data :)