[SOLVED] Help troubleshooting Daily BSOD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maomaobear

Prominent
Nov 13, 2021
Hi all, been getting BSODs once or twice a week on my build for the last few months. Last week I upgraded my CPU cooler and cleaned out the PC and have been getting the BSODs more frequently, about once a day. And the temperature is down from 50-80C to 30-60C instead, which confuses me!

The BSOD can happen during gaming, or closing a Microsoft Word file, or it seems at any time almost. All the errors are different, from IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, to MEMORY MANAGEMENT, to KERNEL FAILURE (or something).

I ran a Prime95 test and it passed the Small FFTs, but failed the Large FFTs with a "Rounding error". So I'm thinking it may be the memory. What's weird is that it always fails on one worker within 2-3 minutes, but then the test runs perfectly fine for the next hour or more. A couple times the crash even resulted in a no POST and I had to reseat the CMOS battery to get to the bios.

Down-clocking the memory from 3200mhz to 3133mhz (timings same) seems to reduce the issue of Prime95 rounding error. However, I still got crashes/BSODs.

I also re-installed windows and all the drivers, including running DDU and reinstalling graphics drivers from AMD. No luck.

Today I've down-clocked all the way to 2133mhz (same settings as if XMP was never enabled), and no crashes for a while just crashed while editing this post :(

It SEEMS like a memory problem to me, but before I get it RMAed, wondering if you guys could help shed light into the problem more. Could voltages be the cause, and if so which voltages should I increase? Could it be the motherboard DIMM slots, how would I test that if my motherboard manual specifically states to slot in RAM in a certain order/slots? Is it most definitely not a CPU issue?

How do I 100% confirm its the RAM so I don't RMA it and still have the issues?

Appreciate any help. PC Specs below.

Cheers,
Pin

MSI X570 Gaming Plus
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X - no overclock
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200mhz
Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5700XT
EVGA Supernova G3 550
Windows 10 Pro

RAM Timings
16-20-20-20-38
Voltage Settings:
MEM VDDIO 1.35v
MEM VTT Auto
VDDCR SOC 1.1v
CLDO VDDP 0.9v
CLDO VDDG 1.1v

All other motherboard settings on auto (no PBO)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
summary:
Passes prime 95
Passes Memtest
Voltages look about normal in hwinfo
Storage drives seem ok I(ran magician)
You already said you had a Blue Yeti before I asked (slaps self)

specs:
MSI X570 Gaming Plus
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X - no overclock
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200mhz
Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5700XT
EVGA Supernova G3 550

Any BSOD since you put in new LAN card?

maomaobear

Prominent
Nov 13, 2021
No BSODs for two days.

Since the new LAN card (disabled the on-board port via device manager), only change I made was unplugging secondary SSD drive.

Fingers crossed...

If anything BSOD frequency has reduced to a usable PC state, which is good.

gardenman

Splendid
Hopefully that works. Here's the result for latest dump in case it's needed: https://jsfiddle.net/njbo7arm/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:112821-10187-01.dmp (Nov 28 2021 - 07:22:10)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL (192)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for WdFilter.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MoUsoCoreWorke)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 36 Min(s), and 39 Sec(s)
[/spoiler]

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

maomaobear

Prominent
Nov 13, 2021
wdfilter.sys is windows defender mini filter... lan again.

Brand new PC incoming?

New motherboard and CPU already setup:
MSI Mag B550M Mortar WIFI
Ryzen 5600X

Didn't even need to reinstall windows.

You know I'm thinking there is a possiblity that the wintun.sys driver connected to Astrill VPN may be the culprit. Am staying away from it for the next week while testing the CPU/mobo replacement, but will re-test it again afterwards.

Last edited:

maomaobear

Prominent
Nov 13, 2021
Full week of PC use and no BSOD. Looks like my problem is solved.

Will return motherboard and CPU for maintenance and see what they say. Will report back if I get a clear answer on the cause.

Thank you Colif for your help.

Reactions: Colif

maomaobear

Prominent
Nov 13, 2021
Just as a final update to this thread. My seller got back to me and it looks like AMD will be giving me a brand new 3600X. Unfortunately AMD did not tell my seller what the problem was, only that it would be replaced with a new one.

So it was the CPU.

Reactions: gardenman