[SOLVED] Help! Trying to get my boys christmas pc to run Fortnite but have 100% 'disk usage'

lovepenny

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Hi, I tried to get my boy a working computer for Fortnite this Christmas but the game freezes every few seconds. I'm thinking it's the hard disk as the task manager says 100% usage and power high.
The power supply is 240w so I bought a 1030 small form factor card to fit the case and checked it would run on that power. I don't know if that would cause 100% disk usage though?

After changing stuff in the following list, the disk goes between 1-15% without running fortnite but as soon as you do its 100% here's what I've done;
1)cmd run chkdsk no faults found.
2)checked windows is updated.
3)disabled windows search
4)stopped superfetch service (sysmain)
5)Tried to change energy option from balanced to high performance (didn't work it keeps going back to balanced)
6)reset virtual memory and set custom cache to recommended +initial size is the recommended and max is 6144 (4gb ram)
7) task scheduler > disabled defrag,

I'm wondering if the windows load is just making it impossible, needing a ssd with windows on it maybe? it can jump to like 80% if some random windows program starts doing something (seen cortana get there, don't even use it.)

That is the pc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Opt...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

that is the card
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-G...UPEfRCQ1AfvotGqnz9DLORaG_AbepbTccreseVLkj2nXk

Don't know what I should do next. Any suggestions? In a few days I will have £100 to buy a new case/psu/ssd If that helps!

Solution
Your issue is that you do not have enough RAM, only 4GB. 8GB is the bare minimum and most systems now run 16GB.

The issue is when the RAM, temporary memory, becomes full, it transfers its tasks to the hard drive. The hard drive is a MUCH slower way to do these tasks and is why you are hitting 100% disk usage. The only way to fix this is to get more RAM.

It is possible to buy additional RAM to pair with the current RAM, however it isn’t recommended to to compatibility concerns. You’ll want to purchase, at a minimum, a set of 2 4GB sticks of RAM, DDR3 1333 or 1600.
Your issue is that you do not have enough RAM, only 4GB. 8GB is the bare minimum and most systems now run 16GB.

The issue is when the RAM, temporary memory, becomes full, it transfers its tasks to the hard drive. The hard drive is a MUCH slower way to do these tasks and is why you are hitting 100% disk usage. The only way to fix this is to get more RAM.

It is possible to buy additional RAM to pair with the current RAM, however it isn’t recommended to to compatibility concerns. You’ll want to purchase, at a minimum, a set of 2 4GB sticks of RAM, DDR3 1333 or 1600.

Last edited:
Reactions: lovepenny
Solution

lovepenny

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

Is that all the problem is? Even loading the launcher it will fly to 100% can't 4gb of ram even do that?

'In order to run Fortnite at a minimum, you'll need a 2.4GHz processor on Windows 7/8/10 or Mac, 4GB of RAM, and at least an Intel HD 4000 video card'

I thought what I had would be fine but thanks mate i'll get shopping

lovepenny

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Check the task manager and see how much RAM you are using at any given time. Depends on what you have taking up RAM usage. You can see if there are any background programs using RAM that you can cut out.

1.png

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...659849644217466936/3.png?width=917&height=676

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...090026/4_wtf_is_that.png?width=917&height=676

I managed to disable sysmain skype e.t.c the disk is fine now until you run fortnite, i'll get that ram.

Reactions: bmockeg