!HELP! Trying to overclock g3258 to 4.2 GHz

Atach

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
My G3258 is overclocked to 3.8 GHz, when I stress test it on AIDA64 extreme it goes to 59c and i'm using stock cooler. Do you think I can go higher and could I Clock it to 4.2 GHz with cooler master hyper tx3 evo?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Glad I could help! Not to push you, but just a reminder there's a best answer button if you're interested... ;) :ptdr:

Lemme link you my current cooler. I have an AMD CPU, but there's probably an Intel version too. It uses a "wind tunnel"-like design to maximize airflow. Pretty cheap, and great performance. AMD CPUs typically run hotter than Intel, and I was able to overclock my 8 core FX-8150 from 3.6 GHz to 4.0 GHz while remaining at 50 degrees! I could go a LOT higher if I...

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
Here's a post on someone who managed to clock your CPU at 4.5 GHz. They were using a good cooler, but judging by @CompuTronix's response, you should be all good!

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2706536/temps-safe-pentium-g3258.html

Your Core temperatures are well within Intel's Thermal Specifications: http://ark.intel.com/products/82723/Intel-Pentium-Proce...

Here's the typical operating range for Core temperature:

80C Hot (100% Load)
75C Warm
70C Warm (Heavy Load)
60C Norm
50C Norm (Medium Load)
40C Norm
30C Cool (Idle)

Please read this Tom’s Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide - Full Intel Temperature Guide
Thanks,

CT :sol:

Hope this helps!

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

Every bit counts though, right?

I mean yes, it's dual-core, but that's just more reason to squeeze out more performance.

Atach

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

Thanks! I will try the evo with 4.2!

Atach

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

Yea! It's a great value cpu!

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
Hold up a second... do you have another cooler available?

If you do, and it's not being used for anything else, I'd swap coolers. Might be what you need to go even higher (if interested).

If not, wait to purchase another one. Just see how high up you can get on the stock cooler. If your goal is just 4.2, the stock cooler could probably handle that fine. If not, or you want to go higher, then start looking at other cooler options. Do your research too, there are probably better price-to-performance coolers for your use.

Atach

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

I only have the stock cooler, im concerned about the lifespan of the cpu but if i can go higher with temps somewhere in the 60’s I will go a bit higher.

I will look more into the coolers and find what would work best for me. Thanks for the good answer!

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
Glad I could help! Not to push you, but just a reminder there's a best answer button if you're interested... ;) :ptdr:

Lemme link you my current cooler. I have an AMD CPU, but there's probably an Intel version too. It uses a "wind tunnel"-like design to maximize airflow. Pretty cheap, and great performance. AMD CPUs typically run hotter than Intel, and I was able to overclock my 8 core FX-8150 from 3.6 GHz to 4.0 GHz while remaining at 50 degrees! I could go a LOT higher if I wanted too, but I don't want to deal with bumping up voltage. Last time I tried my PC wouldn't post and I had to reset BIOS...

Also, while a good heatsink is important, good case fans and thermal compound are just as necessary. I link what I use too, near silent and extremely powerful.

The other less common things I do with my PC involve cutting out fans grills and leaving my side panel off. While pressure is important, I think having less material blocking airflow is a lot more important. Both of those add dust, but just clean your PC regularly and try to keep some compressed air cans around. I worry about accidentally getting a toe or something stuck in a fan, so I also used my friend's 3D printer to make some fan grills that maximize airflow. You likely don't have access to a 3D printer, so I'll link some good fan grills too.

I'm just happy to help someone else reach overclocking nirvana. With 8 cores, I don't really need to overclock much anyway.

Last notes: 1. Do your research besides my suggestions, something else might fit you better. I bought my PC used, with the heatsink already there. I don't have experience with other heatsinks, and they might be significantly better.
2. The Arctic Pro fans add anti-vibration and are cheaper, but can only be mounted one way.
3. Again, do your research, but this thermal paste is one of the most highly regarded non-conductive ones available.
4. Look for the best deals, ones linked are just first I found.
5. If you do have access to a 3D Printer, you can find some cool emblem designs on Thingiverse.
6. Study from Puget Systems on fan grill design impacting airflow, noise, etc. TL;DR: Wire is best in every category, with error factored in.

ZALMAN CNPS9500 Heatsink+Fan - $31.65 (Newegg)
Arctic MX-4 Thermal Compound 4G (5+ applications + lasts 8 years) - $6.68 (Amazon)
Arctic F8-F14 (80mm-140mm) PWM PST Case Fans - $5.99-8.99 (Arctic)
Arctic F8-F14 (80mm-140mm) PWM PST CO (continuous operation, lasts longer) Case Fans - $5.99-8.99 (Arctic)
Arctic F8-F12 (80mm-120mm) PRO PWM PST Case Fans - $6.99-8.99 (Arctic)
3D Print Fan Grills (search results) - 3D Print (Thingiverse)
Assorted Customizable Fan Grills (balance airflow and design with your preferences) - 3D Print (Thingiverse)
GardTec Steel Wire Fan Grill - $0.70 (Products For Automation)

Hope this helps! I had so much fun making this; think you've inspired me to do a guide on PC cooling... :)

Solution

Atach

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

Thank you so much for such a detailed and good answer!

I will do some research on the coolers and what is awailable here in Finland. I will also fiddle around with my case fan orientations.

Definetly deserves a best answer ;D

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

Thanks! Lemme go ahead and merge answers to keep everything together then. :p